A couple months ago I replaced all the engine mounts on my Honda Civic 1999.
During the replacement of my Timing belt, the main engine mount got busted when I torqued the nut on the rubber mount's bolt. The Honda manual called for 74Nm but the bolt spun freely after 50Nm. Must have been a poor quality mount but from now on for that bolt I will not cross 40Nm!
Read on for how I replaced the busted mount in less than 20 minutes!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Supporting the Engine.
Using my OEM car jack, I supported the oil sump using a piece of wood as a buffer.
Step 2: Removing the Busted Mount.
Removing the (3) 14mm bolts and (3) 17mm nuts, I took out the bogus mount. You can see the cracks on the rubber damper.
Step 3: Comparison.
Here is a side by side pic of old and new. The new one came with a lock washer and nut which I didn't bother to use.
Step 4: Installing the New Mount.
Putting in the replacement was straightforward. Once I torqued the nuts and bolts (the 3 bolts and mount nut to 40Nm, the two 17mm nuts to 60Nm), I removed the support jack and the job is now complete!