Check out the video for a quick overview!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Taking It Apart
- I bought this swing set on craigslist for $500. I considered it a steal since it was made of cedar and only about 5 years old. These types of swing set can cost $2,750. (he still have the original receipt.)
- It is really important to take all the plastic peaces off when refinishing a swing set. It helps keep a professional look. Also makes for a lot less clean up.
Step 2: Sanding, Lots of Sanding!
- I found that using a low grit sand paper like 80 was much more efficient that using a paint scraper. I was far to cheap to use a chemical paint stripper, plus I did a lot of this outside, on grass.
- I moved to a higher grit on things there would be touched a lot, for the roof I didn't bother.
- Make sure you whip down everything before staining it.
Step 3: Stain
- I used the middle of the road stuff from home depot. The can says that it will last up to 3 years (I doubt that).
- It says to use 2 light coats, I used 2 heavy coats on the entire thing. With the summer sun and heat it dried quickly.
- It took almost 2 full cans.
Step 4: Spraying Painting the Plastic
- I used a paint color called Meadow Green. It might as well be called "Swing Set Green". It went perfect with the brown from the stain.
- I roughed everything up with sand paper. Mostly to remove the stain the previous own left when he didn't remove the parts before staining.
- It is really important that you remove or tape the separate parts, this avoids more work later. It also gives your a professional look.
- I sanding down the first coat with steal wool, it removes a lot of the bumps and allows for a great second coat.
Step 5: Fixing the Sticky Plastic Chain
- I searched the internet and could not find a decent way to fix a sticky plastic swing set chain. So here is what I came up with.
- First I tried Rubbing Alcohol, Goo-gone, Gas, Paint Thinner, WD-40, Nothing worked.
- Then I found 1" heat shrinkable tubing on amazon. I use much smaller versions of this in electronics work. This stuff worked great and it was relatively cheap.
- I cut it just enough to cover the plastic.
- I used a propane torch. I would have used a heat gun but I don't have one. I shrunk right around the chain.
- It was surprisingly bendable.
Step 6: Putting It Back Together
Put everything back together and ENJOY!