I picked up this worst for wear electrical sander on my travels and gave myself the challenge of repairing it. It is not so difficult with a little patients and time on your hands.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Assessing the Damage
With all electrical equipment the first thing to do is assess how badly damaged is the tool. Check the wiring to see if anything is obviously exposed? Confirm if there are any cracks on the shell of the body. Do any of the parts move? Does the plug have a fuse or not? Does the outer shell need repairing.
On assessment of this tool I found the body to have a lot of dirt and muck. Also the motor would not turn.
Then start assessing the similar properties of the inside of the tool. I opened it up with a screw driver and found the inside to have a lot of muck and dirt. The motor was also ceased.
Step 2: Cleaning the Outer Shell.
Once I had taken all parts out of shell and placed them on the bench it was obvious that the other shell need cleaning. I left the screws and any electronics to one side. Placed the plastic outer shell in warm soapy water with detergent overnight. In the morning I used wash powder and damp cloth to clean the outer shell. Rinsing with cold water.
Step 3: Repairing Ceased Motor
The motor bearing and washers had a lot of small particles stopping it from turning. I initially wiped down as much as I could with a rag. I then applied WD40 to start the motor spinning. Then I applied some acetone which seemed to set it free. Be careful when using acetone as it can discolour and weaken plastics. Therefore I used it sparingly. Finally adding wd40 once again for good measure.
Step 4: Restoring the Colour of the Plastic Outer Shell
After cleaning the outer shell it can become dull due to removal of oils in the plastic. I found using a little WD40 and rubbing it in restores the shine.
Step 5: Cleaning Internally Wires and Bringing Everything Back Together
I wiped the wires down with alcohol rub and a cloth. Reassemble the wiring and replaced the motor. Being careful not to catch the wires on both sides of case.
Step 6: Testing It Works
Finally I added a circuit breaker and plugged into the mains. Be careful when firing up to ensure safety. It all worked.
Participated in the
Trash to Treasure