Introduction: Restoring Old Soviet Hand Drill
I bought this drill for 50UAH (about $2) on a flea market. It's an old soviet made hand drill...
So I restored it...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Wanna see how?
I took the handle off first. Cause it was easy.
Then I took the chuck off. It had a lot going on inside... but I endured everything.
Then things went a bit more complicated since in order to disassembly the rest of the thing I had to removethose two particular pins and I had nothing suitable to apply to this situation. So I took a broken drill bit and grinded it into a tool of perfect configuration to do the job.
I took everything apart.
I degreaced all parts using acetone.
And a tooth brush.
Paintstripper helped me to strip some paint.
And a wire brush helped me to remove all the junk from the details.
And even smaller wire brush helped me to remove the junk even further... in places iconceivable for such large and clumsy brush as previous one.
The long handle (that's how I decided to call it) was sanded down to a nice condition...
And that thing that was holding... THE SMALL HANDLE captured in its ever rotating purgatory... was comromised by the means of angle grinder to relese the little wooden thing.
The little wooden thing was sanded down then.
I used felt buffing wheel with some chrome oxide polishing paste to buff the parts I wanted to get buffed, and you can see how the drill would looked like would I haven't proceed further with painting. I was kind of cool, and I kind of regreat a bit that I just didn't gave it a clear coat at that point. But I wanted to restore the thing to its initial look, like for authenticity... kind of.
Anyway, as a next step I prepared the parts I had to paint by masking all the bits I didn't want to paint.
And I cleaned everything with acetone later to remove all the greace from handeling.
FIrstly I used a couple of coats of primer.
And then I painted parts black and red... just the way they were designed by some particular soviet engineer whose name is a complete mistery for everyone.
The handles (both the long one and the little wooden one) were treated with a couple of coats of linseed oil of aproximatelly the same time period of production (it still works).
I'm too lazy to explain this...
And the chuck was reassembled.
To e honest it took me more than a year to finish this projects. It sometimes happens, and I elieve a good portion of you can understand that this happens... I'm not so hopefull about the humanity and myself mostly as to about understand WHY this happens... but who cares, I finished it eventually... and it looks good...
But the last page of this instructable is the next one...
so this is it for now, thank you for your attention, and have a nice restoration!
Second Prize in the
Fix It Contest