Restoring a 60 Y.o. Drill Press

124

4

This is a drill press I found in a closing shop. It has a 1962 date on a tag. I have searched for details or pictures but i haven't found anything. It appears its made in Greece but can't find any info on the brand. Anyway it seems to be well made and robust. That was enough for me to restore it plus i needed a drill press and it was the only one in my budget :)

Supplies:

Step 1: First View of the Drill Press. It Is How I Found It.

Step 2: Body Disassembly

I start to disassemble every part and track the broken parts. The spring was broken, all the ball bearings where stuck, some teeth where missing from the main axle, the wiring needed replace but it still was promising.

Step 3: Motor Disassemble

I took the motor off and strip it down. I used my mallet to tap my screwdriver before i unscrew the bolts to get them out easier and not heart the bolt heads. Except the wiring it was in good condition.

Step 4: Scraping, Sanding, Polishing

Time for some cleaning... I started with scraping the ancient dust with a dull chisel. Then I sanded the parts with a sandpaper and then with a fine 3m sponge sandpaper and finally with a scotch brite.

Step 5: Derust

The parts that where rusted i used vinegar. Sunk the parts for a day. Then i used a brass brush to take the rust away and sealed the bare metal with wd40 and a scotch brite.

Step 6: Paint Remove

I used paint remover, and then i scraped it out with chisel, scraper and a steel brush to remove the bulk of the paint. Then i sanded all the parts. The wide surfaces with a sander and tight spots by hand.

Step 7: Painting Preparation

I cleaned everything with an oil cleaner to prepare for painting.

I masked all the surfaces that i didn't want painted and stuffed masking tape in all the screw holes

Step 8: Painting

I gave 2 layers of primer and 3 layers of enamel paint with a fine sanding between layers.

Step 9: Aluminium Parts

I sanded to bare metal the aluminium parts. filled the gaps with a body filler and sanded with a very fine wet sandpaper. Then i used a 2 part primer and finaly painted with all the other parts.

Step 10: New Stuff

I gave the main axle to a machinist to cut new gear slots and i bought new ball bearings, chuck, spring, belt and a few bolts i could not salvage.

Step 11: Assembly Begins

I assemble all parts on main body, then i close back the motor and grease all the moving parts.

Step 12: Final Assembly

I assemble the parts in their final position.

Step 13: Someone Found a New Home

Step 14: Tags and Stickers

I cleaned the tags with some wd40 and scotch brite and then with some spirit. One tag was missing so i made a sticker untill i make a proper one from brass or aluminium.

Step 15: Fin

This is almost done. Need to change the screwdriver with a proper handle. Handle is ready but i haven't found anyone with a woodlathe to make me the end balls, i have two pieces of olive wood root for it ;). The drill press runs very smooth and unexpectedly very silent. Hope you enjoyed my project as much as i did.

Share

    Recommendations

    • Colors of the Rainbow Contest

      Colors of the Rainbow Contest
    • Party Challenge

      Party Challenge
    • Classroom Science Contest

      Classroom Science Contest

    4 Discussions

    0
    None
    RobertW327

    19 days ago

    Hi .nice restoration . for your handles I suggest drill and tap hole in your handle blank . find bolt with same thread as handle ,cut off head from bolt ,wind into blank . mount blank in your drill press and use rasps , files and sand paper to finish .

    1 reply
    0
    None
    -Alexander-RobertW327

    Reply 13 days ago

    Thank you. I have a steel rod for handle that i'll make 10mm thread at both ends and 2 pieces of olive tree root for the handles. I have bought some thread inserts for wood that will screw on handle i feel it will be more robust that way for the abusing it will take :) This is the plan im waiting for a friend to finish with his lathe restoration so i can use it to make the threads and the wood turning. Hope i'll post the final images soon.

    0
    None
    ChrisS744

    17 days ago

    Well done! That drill press looks exactly like one I have that is branded Craftsman. Your belt cover housing suggests yours might be later than mine as mine lacks that stylish touch on top. Reminds me of the early KitchenAid mixers 4b is the model. Like wings on the 50s cars. Now when I look at mine Im going to want to give it the business too!

    1 reply
    0
    None
    -Alexander-ChrisS744

    Reply 13 days ago

    Thank you!! yes it's soooo 50's when the simplest thing was made to look, feel and work nice i love it!!!