• Due to the everyday and ubiquitous use the ring tin can, people of age groups especially the elderly face great adversity in opening the can. We decided to tackle this problem by improvising current existing can openers with a much more ergonomic and simplistic design with the intended purpose of easing the difficulty for the elderly when opening up ring tin cans.
1 Aluminium flat bar
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Planning and Brainstorming
- We came out with various designs and sketches and finally finalised with a final idea, the following design utilises a lever-like system where the center part of the can opener is the fulcrum or the pivot point.
- The ring can opener uses the first-class lever system as shown in the picture, the user would apply a force onto the other end of the opener. This will then cause the load to move upwards causing the ring tin can to open.
- The use of simple physics enables the elderly to easily open ring tin cans without requiring that much strength due to strength limitations of the elderly.
- A hole is inserted into the can opener so that users have the option to hang it in the wall instead of placing it in the drawer.
Step 2: Drawing Out of Can Opener in Autodesk Fusion 360
[Dimensions of the whole device ]
•Total length: 237.5 cm
•Length from hooking device: 209.8 cm
• Length from pivot point: 177.5 cm
•Angle of pivot point: 157.4 degrees
[Dimensions of the front hook]
•Radius of hole: R7.5
• Diameter: 6
•Length of outer side of hook: 12 cm
•Length of inner side of hook: 6 cm
•Angle in which hook is tilted: 23.8 degrees
Step 3: Cutting Out of Design Outline of Can Opener
•The outline of the device is cut manually using hacksaw and files to save cost. The hole is done using drilling machine available in our school workshop.
Step 4: Drilling of Hole and Cutting of Front Hook
•This time a drill is used to make a hole in the front piece followed by the use of hacksaw and files to make a small cut for making the hook.
•The hole is drilled using a diameter 6 drill bit for users to hang the can opener.
•The cutting of the hook is done using hacksaw and files to get to the dimensions we want.
Step 5: Refining the Edges of Device
- Using fine files to do final refining touch-ups to ensure the edges are smooth and in accordance with the specified design shape.
- Using sandpapers to polish the can opener for better finishing.
Step 6: End Product
- Instruction on how to use the can opener:
- To open up the ring can, first is to insert the front hook of the can opener into the ring of the can as shown in figure 1.
- Then lift up the ring by turning the can opener in the direction as shown in figure 2 with the pivot point is to be placed at the edge of the tin can.
- Then transfer the can opener to the other side of the ring as shown in figure 3. Turn the can opener in the direction as shown with pivot point placed at the edge of the tin can to open the can. Apply a downward force at the protruding part of the handle whilst tilting it backward.
- Done the tin can is open