Rock candy is a very unique gift to give family during the christmas holiday, but it also provides and excellent sweet treat. it is a really good homemade candy that is pretty easy to make. It is time consuming but it is definitely worth it.
Step 1: Ingredients/ Instructions
1. Find an official store that sells candy flavoring. (Seriously, this can be one of the most difficult parts although now you can order the flavors on the internet). Most often I found them in privately-owned drugstores and not chains such as Walgreens or CVS. When you get it at a drugstore, it is usually at the pharmacy counter. I have no idea why.
2. Germ-free your scissors by putting them in boiling water.
3. Cover a cookie sheet with a layer of powered sugar.
4. Next mix in a large pan
3 3/4 cup sugar
l l/4 cup corn syrup
1 cup hot water
Stir the ingredients until they are well blended.
5. Boil until the temperature reaches 300 degrees. VIP alert the exact boiling temperature is mega important! The candy will not be the right consistency if it is too cool or too hot.
6. Meanwhile, decide what flavor the batch will be and what color you want that flavor. Make sure the color you choose matches the flavor you picked. Unless you don't want to!!!
7. When the temperature reaches about 295, add the food coloring. This will make the temp. go down a few degrees, but not much, so watch carefully. At about 297 degrees, pour in the flavoring. (Seriously, be careful, not to breath in the steam that rises from the pot. You will find it will burn your mouth, nose and eyes. So sort of turn away from it.)
8. Pour onto the cookie sheet. Two people do this best, one to tilt the pan and another to spoon it out.
9. Now the fun part begins it is the agonizing, painful, finger-burning cutting part. You gotta wait a few minutes and then you start at the edges. Once it starts to harden it gets too hard to cut super fast. So, this is the deal. You cut while its still soft enough to cut and you burn your fingers. You cut when it is too hard and you break your fingers trying to cut through the candy. And, no, you cannot just drop it and break it into little pieces well, I mean, you can, but then you have jagged points that are not fun to eat or safe to eat.
Step 2: Making More
While you or someone else is cutting the candy you can start another batch. Keep making candy until you have enough flavors!!!! This candy is super good!!!