Question: Who doesn't like cat poop?
Answer: Almost EVERY living thing ever... including cats. They hate it so much that they try to bury and pretend it doesn't exist... just like me with my feelings.
Although I can't bury my feelings completely, I can however get rid of cat poop with great ease and efficiency thanks to this clever little technique.
Step 1: Tools!
- Cardboard Box - small enough to fit within the litter box but big enough to handle all of your cat's crap.
- Something to poke holes in the cardboard box - I used a drill with a 1/2" spade bit but scissors, a knife or anything pointy will work. Just make sure you can somehow make the holes at least a 1/2" in diameter by the end.
- 2 Plastic Bags - proper disposal
- Bandanna, scrap cloth or gas mask - Because: cat poop.
Step 2: Make Holes in the Box
I used a drill because it was quick and easy. I made enough holes to cover the majority of the surface area of the bottom of the box, while being careful not to make so many that it would compromise its structural integrity. Figure it has to hold the weight of the kitty litter plus the crap... This is of course something that will vary from cat to cat.
Step 3: Cleaning Preparation!
- Empty all of the contents of the litter box into a large plastic bag.
- Make sure the bag is big and strong enough to be moved around a little, without breaking open.
- I went for maximum freshness and took the litter box outside to spray it down with a hose.
Step 4: Sift!
- Place the cardboard box inside of the litter box and pour the dirty kitty litter into that.
- Shake the box from side to side until all of the little nuggets of gold are all that remains, and the clean kitty litter has fallen through the holes into the litter box.
Step 5: Dispose!
- Pour your box of crap into a bag.
- Tie it up.
- Throw it away!
Step 6: Breath Easier!
- Kick your feet up and enjoy the fresher air of your dwelling.
- Pat yourself on the back for doing it so quick & efficiently.
The day is yours! You are victorious.