Introduction: Rocket Ship, DIY Home Decor / Toy
This is a fun idea I came up with for some home decor ideas I was thinking about and thought of a simple rocket ship just to have in the room as part of the decor on a book shelf or fire place mantle. I have my youtube channel called Liberty Woodworking where I do some DIY projects all the time and this is my first instructables here so I hope you like this project and build one or two of these rocket ships for yourself.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Will Need. Tools and Materials
- A Scroll saw with a blade of your choosing. I used a spiral blade found on craftsman.com
- The template found here the template
- 1/4 quarter inch piece of wood that is 8.5x11 width x hieght
- Spray adhesive glue, any kind to attach the template
- Stain or paint, optional, up to you, be creative.
- Wood glue, optional depending on the tightness of fitting the rocket pieces together.
- A power drill and a drill bit, bit size is up to you to deside
- If you don't have a scroll saw try using a jig saw. I think you'll be ok.
- Sand paper 120 grit
- Measuring tape
- Watch my youtube video about the whole project.
Step 2: Prep Work
- Print out the template
- Measure and cut a 1/4 piece of wood at 8.5 x 11
- Spay glue the template to the piece of wood and let it dry for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Drill a hole through the rocket ship window on the left side template rocket
Step 3: Get Cutting
Cut out the two rocket ship pieces leaving only the black untouched. Cut out the one window hole where you drilled the hole.
Step 4: Put Together / Test Fitting
Put Together the rocket pieces sliding them together as a test fitting to see if they my need further adjusting by sanding them or cutting them some more. If you cut them wright the first time they should fit each other snugly.
Step 5: Sanding
Sand all pieces to desired effect.
Step 6: Gluing / Optional
Gluing the pieces together is optional depending on the tightness of fit mentioned in previous step. Go ahead if you think you should using the wood glue. Fallow the wood glue manufacturers product gluing instructions.
Step 7: Finnishing
Paint or stain your rocket ship to your hearts desire. I stained mine and it looks great. I'm going to make another one and paint it orange giving it a real retro look.
Step 8: That's It
Participated in the
First Time Author Contest 2016