If you have a Roku and if you have touched, you know it gets hot. Especially Roku Express, it gets so hot that it eventually causes the WiFi to go out. So I made a cooling fan for my Express, its made the Express work 100% better. I used an old laptop fan and old mini usb phone charger. Its so simple to make anyone can do it.
1 laptop fan 5v
1 Mini USB phone charging cord
Feet/spacers (I used the rubber pieces off the bottom of the laptop I took the fan from. But you can use whatever you have. Fan just needs room to pull air from the bottom)
Optional if your TV doesn't have a USB port
1 5v wall charger (try to get the amps close to the same)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Cut Cord and Fan Wires
Mini USB cord
- Cut off mini USB part
- Strip off rubber outer part back about 1/2 inch
- Strip red and black wires back about 1/8 inch
- Cut off fan plug
Strip red and black wires back about 1/8 inch
Step 2: Step 2: Tape
- Fold over all wires but the red and black and tape them to the cord. Or cut off.
Connect cord to fan
- Connect black wire from cord to black wire on fan and tape
- Connect red wire from cord to red wire on fan and tape
- Wrap tape around all wires, this step is to make it look pretty.
Step 3: Finish
- Place what you have selected for your feet/spacers down
- Place fan on feet/spacers next to Roku
- Plug fan in
- Enjoy a better working Roku
This is an entry in the
First Time Author Contest