Introduction: Rolling Flowerpot Board
I have a big flowerpot in my house that can be easily moved using a rolling board, but recently it broke. It had been wet so many times while watering the plant that the board started to rot until the day it couldn't move anymore.
Since the design is quite simple and the wheels were still working, I decided to make a new one using some thick planks.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Material
There's not a lot of material needed for this Instructable, and even less for me because I scavenged the wheels from the old board.
- 4 Wheels
- Measuring tape
Step 2: Scavenging
I started by dismantling the old board in order to collect the wheels and their fixation (tee nuts). I also collected the top part to use it as a template for my new model.
Step 3: Cutting the Planks
The original board dimensions were 50*50 cm, so I cut two pieces of 50 cm long that I split in two.
Step 4: Getting the Right Shape
This is the part where I used the top part of the old board as template. I simply placed the four planks as they will be when screwed, put the template on top of it, traced the bows and cut them using a jigsaw.
Then I drilled holes in the lower planks to insert the tee nuts.
TIP : The bows diameter should be bigger than the base of the flowerpot, otherwise the pot may not touch the lower planks and be off balanced.(Happened to me)
Step 5: Sanding
I sanded all the faces and the top edges using 50 and 120 grit, that way I got a smooth surface and cool design. I really like how you can see the grain.
Step 6: Assembling
I began with placing and hammering the tee nuts in the holes and then secured them with two small smews (which I had forgotten as you can see on the picture).
I finished the assembly by putting two longer screw on each end of the bottom planks and finally screwed the wheels in the tee nuts.
Step 7: Finish Product
After sanding, I applied a few coats of spray varnish to protect it from water, that way it won't end up like the previous board.
I did a test fit and corrected the unbalancing problem it had (See Step 4) and now it rolls perfectly fine.
Participated in the
Before and After Contest 2017