There isn't really an easy way to cut sandpaper, it dulls blades, and it's kind of awkward to rip. I have seen a couple of sandpaper cutters online using a saw blade, so I decided to make one.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
For this project I used:
- Saw Blade
- 1x7 Scraps
- Wood Glue
- Wood Filler
- 1/2x1 Scrap
- Parchment Paper
- Small Washers
Step 2: Creating Base
I wanted the base to be a square to ensure plenty of room, so I measured the size it should be by the length of the saw blade. I was able to use one length of 1x7, and one partial piece of 1x7 that had to be connected together. I then used pocket holes to connect the two boards. The top of the joint turned out smooth, but somehow the bottom of the joint had a very slight lip. So I filled all the cracks and imperfections with wood filler, and sanded it all down, giving a slight rounding on the edges and corners.
Step 3: Creating Fence
I used a piece of 1/2x1 scrap for the fence. I ripped it down in half and cut the length to size, and sanded it down flat. I then glued it down in place with wood glue in place against a speed square to ensure its squareness.
Step 4: Final Sanding and Marking for Blade
Once the glue was dry, I filled any cracks with wood filler, and sanded it all down smooth, also giving a slight rounding on edges. I also laid out the saw blade square where it would go and drilled small pilot holes to mark where it goes.
Step 5: Polyurethane and Ruler
After the sanding, I gave it all a polyurethane finish. I wanted to try out a new method I have heard of for the ruler. So I gave it a try, I printed the image out mirrored onto a sheet of parchment paper, and pressed it into place on the wood. It did kind of work, but didn't soak in enough. Maybe I didn't press it in enough, or couldn't soak in because of the polyurethane. Regardless I liked this method, and want to give it another try soon, maybe with a colored image. Since the numbers weren't dark enough, I went back and filled them in with sharpie.
Step 6: Finished
Lastly, I screwed on the saw blade with two small washers sitting under it. After that I gave it a test on some 220 grit, and it works. It takes a little practice to make a perfect cut, but overall, it works pretty well. I also added two small eye hooks for hanging. Thanks, and hope you enjoyed!