If inspiration fails and you resort to buying someone a gift card for Christmas, you can at least personalise it by taking a few minutes to make a greeting card to go with it.
This Santa suit card has a pocket on the inside to hold a standard, credit card-sized gift card. It is quick to make and no artisitic skills whatsoever are needed, I promise.
You will need
- A sheet of white card
- A 10cm (4″) square of thin red card
- Scraps of white and black paper, and silver card
- Wavy edged scissors (not vital)
- Hole punch
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Pencil, rubber and steel ruler
Step 1: Cutting and Sticking
- Using the cutting mat, steel ruler and knife, cut a 20cm x 10cm (8″ x 4″) rectangle from the white card and a 10cm x 10cm (4″ x 4″) square from the red card.
- Cut a horizontal slot in what will be the front of the Santa card, i.e. the right hand half when viewed from the outside. (It is on the left in the photo because that shows the inside.) The slot should be 6cm (2 3/8″) wide, 3.5cm (1 3/8″) from the bottom of the card and centred horizontally in that half of the white card rectangle.
- Apply glue to all of the top part of the red square (the part that will be above the slot), but only around the edges on the lower part. Stick the red square onto the front of the Santa card, the half which has the slot in it. When the glue is dry, check that the gift card can be inserted from the inside.
- Cut a rectangle of white paper 10cm (4″) long and about 3cm (1¼”) wide using the wavy scissors on the long edges. (If you don't have any wavy scissors, just draw a wavy line in pencil on the back and then cut along it.) Stick the rectangle vertically down the centre of the red square.
- Cut a second white paper rectangle 10cm (4″) wide and 1cm (3/8″) high, using the wavy scissors for just one long edge. Stick it horizontally across the bottom of the red square with the wavy edge uppermost.
- For the belt, add a horizontal strip of black paper that is about 1cm (3/8″) wide, sticking it across the middle of the red area.
- For the buckle, use a 2cm (3/4″) square of silver card with a smaller square of black paper (of sides equal to the width of the belt) stuck in the centre of it.
- Punch two or three “buttons” from black paper and stick them in place above the belt.
Step 2: Finishing Off
Finally, fold the card in half and place the gift card in the pocket through the slot on the inside.