Adapt a tree-pruner so it can be used as a handsaw.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Tree Pruner Is a Little Too Long
Like about eight feet too long. It's great for getting at high branches, but I have some overgrown shrubs with quite thick branches which need reduced. The branches are too close together to allow easy access for a bow saw or even a handsaw.
To adapt the blade from the pruner to hand-held use, you will need:-
Sandpaper (say about 120 grit)
4mm bit (about 3/16 inch)
7mm bit (about 9/32 inch)
Thick dowel about 32mm (inch and a quarter)
Danish oil or other finish
Two M6 bolts with washers and nuts
Step 2: Remove the Blade From the Pruner
Pretty simply done by unscrewing the wing-nut, but just in case it wasn't clear.
Step 3: Measuring the Handle
I couldn't be bothered doing that, so I just grabbed the dowel and cut a reasonable chunk. I think it ended up at about six inches (150mm).
Step 4: Making the Slot for the Blade
First, I sanded off the outside of the dowel. It wasn't great quality, so this gave a much nicer finish. Holding the paper at each end and "towelling" gave a great finish really quickly.
Then I made the slit of the blade to inhabit.
Once I had that cut most of the way, I could align the drill by eye to put a 4mm hole through to reduce the chance of the wood splitting. Then I took the cut down to meet the hole.
Step 5: Making the Bolt Holes
I offered the blade to the handle, making sure that the cut was horizontal, then marked where the bolt holes needed to be.
Then I drilled the bolt holes (carefully). If you have a drill press, you'll be able to drill all the holes for this project much more accurately. Oversizing the bolt holes gave me the margin to do this quick-and-dirty.
Do a test-assembly to make sure everything is right before finishing.
Step 6: Finishing
I used Danish Oil to give an OK finish to what is going to be a well-used tool.
I hooked one of the screw holes over a bit of wire to allow me to brush all over.
Finally, all assembled. Looks good, feels comfortable, and I'll be using it later today if the weather brightens up.
1 Person Made This Project!
sammyscrammy made it!