The Bottle Scavenger Hunt is an easy and fun project that can be made with materials found around the house. The object of the game is to find the hidden objects which are camouflaged by the colored rice in a clear plastic bottle.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials Needed
2 clear plastic bottles
4 cups of rice
1 package of food coloring
1 box cutter
4 zip lock bags (not in picture)
rubbing alcohol (not in picture)
8-10 small objects
Step 2: Coloring the Rice
1. place one cup of rice in each zip lock bag
2. Add one full cap of rubbing alcohol to each bag
3. Add 3 drops of food coloring in each bag (one color in each bag)
4. Seal bag and shake well until all of the rice is dyed
5. Let sit for 1 hour and shake frequently
6. Empty rice onto flat pan, rake with a fork every few hours, leave overnight until dry
(note: do not be shy with the food coloring, the color will fade a little when dry)
7. When completely dry combine all colors in a bowls and mix evenly
Step 3: Selecting Small Objects
While gathering small objects make sure that they are small enough to fit through bottle opening. Make a list of all the treasures you will be hiding in the bottle so that your audience will know what they will be hunting for.
Step 4: Preparing the Water Bottle
1. Take all labels off both bottles
2. Make sure bottles are dry
3. With the box cutter cut one bottle in half to use as a funnel
4. Set aside one of the bottle caps to use at the end of the project
Step 5: Adding Rice and Objects to the Bottle
1. Use the funnel to add an inch of colored rice
2. Add 2 or 3 of your small objects
3. Add another inch of rice
4. Repeat process until you have added all of the objects
5. Make sure you leave an air gap in the neck of the bottle to allow the rice to move around, the bigger the air gap the easier the scavenger hunt will be.
Step 6: Glue Top On
Take the bottle cap you had set aside, use the glue gun to make a small ring of glue around inside edge of bottle cap.
screw back onto bottle and let dry for a few minutes.
Step 7: Happy Hunting!
You have now completed your scavenger hunt in a bottle. Shake and enjoy!
Participated in the
Keep the Bottle Contest