In INDIA, we have like thousands of poor children who can't even afford a school bag or school study desk.
They can't even dream of buying any of these.
Though our government is doing a lot for educating those numerous poor children but still those have to carry their books in their hands and have to study on floor which results into their bad postural problems.
In this instructable i am sharing the idea of making SCHOOL BAG CUM STUDY DESK for poor kids from a simple waste carton ( cardboard box), which i long back shared with one NGO who works for welfare of such poor kids but i think helping someone without returns needs a sincere effort.
I sincerely hope, one of you will take this instructable to the needy and hope those poor kids won't suffer from more postural issues again and will get their personal school bag to carry their belongings easily.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Material Required:
Waste carton(cardboard box)
sheet of paper
Step 2: Select Any Waste Carton (cardboard Box).
Take any waste carton box from anywhere, i get this waste box from my garage itself.
Step 3: Unfold This Carton.
Unfold this carton by any side as shown.
Find the side of carton from where it got attached by pins or got pasted.
Remove the pins to unfold this carton into a single piece cardboard as shown.
Step 4: Making Rough Sketch of Desired Cutout on Sheet of Paper to Make You Understand the Final Shape.
Before making a final shape cut-out on cardboard, i have tried number of times and after so many modifications in shape and dimensions, i finally came out with perfect size for a school bag cum study table which can be taken out from a single piece of carton cardboard and in which we use maximum of carton folds (folds here means already embossed folds as shown by yellow arrows in picture)
As shown above, this is our dummy shape for bag cum desk.
i have taken dummy dimensions in centimeters to make you understand the shape and folds.
Step 5: Understanding Shape of Dummy Cutout.
To make it understand well, i am dividing the dummy shape in 4 parts.
1. FLAP 1
2. FLAP 2
3. FLAP 3
4. FLAP 4: Now it is most important part. you can easily notice from attached picture that cone point should meet end line of FLAP 2.
Steps to draw shape of FLAP 4:-
1. Mark 7 centimeter thick rectangle in center of FLAP4 as shown.
2. Consider the point 'A' as shown in picture as a center point and draw around 30° line to meet central rectangle as shown.
3. Draw a PARALLEL line below this line to meet point 'B' as shown in picture.
4. Repeat above steps for other side too.
Draw a handle on part outside FLAP4 as shown.
Step 6: Draw Shape on Our Unfolded Carton Cardboard Piece.
Now take your unfolded carton (cardboard box) and draw the same shape on it with mentioned dimensions as in picture shown.
And cut this shape as shown.
Step 7: Detailing and Edge Folding of Carton Shape.
As shown in above figures, i am showing you each FLAP in very detailed version which is showing proper dimensions and folds.
Fold all the markings shown in pictures.
All dimensions are in inches now.
Step 8: Detailed Edge Cutting of Resultant Carton Shape.
In this step, as shown in the pictures, we have to make few cuts in different FLAPS for various purposes which you will understand later on.
Make these cuts as shown in pictures.
Note: all the horizontal and vertical cuts are in center of respective FLAPS.
Step 9: Making Study Table Out of This Final Carton Shape Cut-out.
Now, follow the steps to convert this
carton shape cut-out into a study table.
1. Fold FLAP4 onto FLAP3, so that the cone will touch the end line of FLAP2 as shown in picture 1.
2. Hold the center handle of FLAP4 and put it over the cut you made at the edge of FLAP2 as shown in picture 2 and 3.
3. And insert the cones in the vertical cut made inside of FLAP2 as shown in picture 4, 5, 6.
4. These cones will come out on back of these vertical cuts as shown in picture 7.
5. Fold these cones to make a grip as shown in picture 8, 9.
6. Fold FLAP1 over this grip like as shown in picture 10, 11 which serves as top of our study table as shown in picture 12, 13.
Step 10: Putting Books Pressure Won’t Hurt This Table Height Because of Mount Box.
Now you can keep your book on this table top and study with comfort.
Best part is when u put pressure of books over this top as shown in pictures it won't go down as we have just created a mount box below this table top.
So TA-DA!! This is our study table!
Step 11: Unfold This Table and Make a School Bag Out of Same Carton Cutout.
First, unfold the table into original carton shape cut-out.
And, follow these steps to create an amazing school bag out of same shape of carton:-
1. Fold FLAP4 onto FLAP3, so that the cone will touch the end line of FLAP2 as shown in picture 1,2.
2. Hold the center handle part of FLAP4 and insert it into the cut you made at the edge of FLAP2 as shown in picture 3.
3. This inserted handles will look like this at the back as shown in picture 5.
4. Now fold both the corners of FLAP2 as shown in picture 6 which will serve as brackets for bag.
5. Put your books in this FLAP2 SOACE as shown in picture 7.
6. Fold FLAP3 (with folder FLAP4) over these FLAP2 brackets which act as a closed space for books as shown in picture 8,9.
7. Now as understood fold the FLAP1 over this as shown as shown in picture 10,11,12.
8. Now after doing this you will automatically get the handle part in front of this pocket as shown in picture 13.
9. Insert this handle in cut you made in FLAP1 as shown in picture 14 which acts as a lock to your bag and its handle as shown in picture.
TA-DA!! Magic...we are having a simple yet amazing bag in picture 15 from the same shape cut-out that we made for our table.
ISN'T IT GREAT?