Intro: Secret Can Hiding Place
I wanted to make this because I can keep really secret stuff in it. Stuff like lollies or money so my brother won't be able to find it. It's made from a food can from the shop and no-one will be able to find it because the can looks like any other can. I picked this because it looks so gross, who would even want to eat this stuff!
The lid is held in place with some magnets and inside it has some felt. It's pretty easy to make, my dad helped me take the lid off and make the edges not sharp by filing them down.
It's been in the cupboard for months and no-ones touched it! Just look at those awful beans - who would!
If you want to make your own - keep reading.
PS - thanks dad for helping me with the photos and cutting the can.
Step 1: Things to Get
1. Tin Can (2) - Pick the most gross looking one you can find. That way no-one will want to open and eat it.
2. strong magnets - eBay
3. fabric (felt)
1. Can opener
3. Glue - spray and super glue
4. Hair dryer
5. Soap and water to give the can a good clean.
Step 2: Open the Can
1. First get a can opener and open one of the cans.
2. When opening the can, the little tab on the top might get in the way. You can push the tab out the way if the opener hits it.
3. Once its open be careful as the edges are sharp.
4. test to make sure the lid fits into the can right. My dad used some needle nose pliers to squash any bits of tin that got in the way.
Step 3: Cleaning
1. Fill-up the sink and let the can sit for awhile
2. My can stunk of beans so I gave it a good scrub
3. The label will get wet but you can take it off. That's why you buy the second can, so you can use that label.
Step 4: File the Edges and Adding Felt
1. Get a file and go over the edges. If you don;t you might cut yourself on the sharp edge.
2. Use the bottom of the can so you can draw a circle on the felt. Cut it out and glue to the bottom of the can
3. Do the same for the inside sides of the can and glue.
Step 5: Adding Magnets
1. Don't use hot glue like I did, the magnets came off.
2. Use the file and make some scratches on the magnets and on the can where you want to stick them.
3. Stick into place with super glue
Step 6: Adding a New Label
At first I had trouble removing a label from the spare can. I tried to cut it off but it didn't work. I then tried to melt the glue with a hair dryer and tat worked well.
1. Put the hair dryer on high and heat-up the glue on the can.
2. Slowly pull the edge of the label and keep the heat on the can. Once the glue is hot enough it will melt and you will be able to pull the label off.
3. You can use the glue from the new label to stick to the secret can.
Step 7: Put It in the Cupboard
When your done put your stuff in it and put it in the cupboard. I put it near the rest of the cans so it wouldn't be noticed.
I hope no-one wants to get disgusting beans soon!
Runner Up in the
Hiding Places Contest