I LOVE baked eggs and tomato sauce....
...and the yolk porn that I get out of my dish...
So I think you can only imagine how much MORE I could possibly love this right?
This recipe is for a personal portion or possible a portion to share... I found a mini skillet pan (6 inch pan) at Fishs Eddy the other week and couldn't wait to use it for this!
Just a warning though, tomato sauce and cast iron skillets aren't the best combination since the tomato acidity is actually bad for the cast iron.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 cup pasta sauce or I actually prefer pizza sauce from Trader Joe's (found in the refrigerated section)
- 1/4 cup San Marzano tomatoes, diced (of course any tomatoes would generally be fine, but I happened to come across San Marzano tomatoes at the market, which are awesome!! Otherwise, I recommend using a smaller size tomato, such as cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese (optional, but a nice touch!)
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 dash cumin
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Optional fun toppings: avocado, uni, tokibo
Step 2: On Medium Heat, Mix All Ingredients Except for Eggs Together Into the Skillet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently stir around even after it starts to bubble around the edges (continue to let it boil around the edges for about 3-5 minutes to evaporate some water).
- Using a spatula or spoon, move the sauce to create two separate holes in the sauce for the eggs.
Crack the eggs into the skillet; one into each hole.
Step 3: Bake in Oven for Approximately 6-8 Minutes.
- Check on the eggs at 6 minutes to see how far along they are cooked (you don't want the yolks to get cooked, otherwise you won't have that fun runny yolk porn! Also, remember that the eggs will continue to cook a little bit after you pull them out from the oven since the cast iron is still hot).