My home is full of shoes. So many I decided to write a poem about it:
. . . . . .
Shoes: a poem by Sam
Piles and piles of kid-shoes.
Colored shoes and plain shoes,
Crocs and Mary Jane shoes.
New and very old shoes.
With shoes on top and shoes beneath, they rock and rock and rock to sleep.
. . . . . .
(My fleeting interest in poetry was exhausted, so I kinda borrowed that last line like a lazy person. Forgive me, Sandra.)
So my family needed an entryway rack of sorts to store some shoes, and I had been hanging on to a pile of large cardboard tubes for several years.
It was time to finally put them to good use.
This was a relatively quick project and should be reproducible if you have access to a few basic tools.
Step 1: Tubes
If you live in a town that has a sign making business, you have access to this kind of cardboard tube.
Large banner material is shipped in these and then the businesses often just throw the tubes away.
I asked a local place where I live and they gave me six of these for free. The tubes are about five feet long and about 9 inches in diameter.
If you can't seem to find tubes like these, you can buy cardboard concrete form tubes at any hardware or home improvement store, which will work the same . . . but they are not free.
Step 2: Cutting
There are several ways to cut a tube like this. The way I did it is probably not the most accessible for many people, so I'll outline other options down below.
I used my table saw along with a sled to cut my tubes into same-sized pieces. I set up a stop block 9 inches to the right of the blade and raised the blade a couple of inches.
With the tube against the stop block, I held the tube and pushed the sled forward until the blade teeth were just cutting through the backside of the tube. The sled was left in this position and I gently rotated the tube towards me, so the underside was being fed into the blade. The smiley faces indicate the only places I had my hands when the saw was on and I was rotating the tubes.
When the piece was fully cut, I turned off the saw, pulled the sled back and removed the piece. The tube was shifted to the right and the process repeated.
To mark sections to be cut, stand the tube on end and stack some books or other objects to the desired height next to it. Hold a pen or pencil firmly on top of the stack and rotate the tube against the tip of the writing implement.
To cut off sections, you can use a basic hand saw. This will require the tube to be held securely, but it will work. Rotate as you go so you can follow the line as precisely as possible.
Alternately, there are several types of handheld power saws you could use for this, but a jigsaw is probably the easiest and safest.
Drill a hole next to the line, place the blade into the hole and cut around the tube following the line. Repeat!
Step 3: Sanding
I used 220 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander to remove the messy edges on the outsides of the tubes.
I used the same grit of hand sandpaper to do likewise to the inside edges of the tubes.
Step 4: Start Gluing
I clamped a straight board to the edge of my work table to help keep the tubes lined up evenly, and glued them together with hot glue.
I've used dozens of different glue guns since I was kid, and I finally paid up for a high-temp non-crafty one. It's a beast that spits out skin-melting lava glue like nothing I've used before. I seriously love it, and strongly recommend it if you're in the market for a better glue gun: Adhesive Technologies 0189 Pro 200 Glue Gun
Step 5: Keep Gluing
I used a carpenter's square as a guide to keep the layout of the tubes square.
Where a tube needed two beads of glue, I put little marks to indicate where to run the beads of glue.
Step 6: All Glued Up
I went through several sticks of glue to get the tubes all joined together, but the structure was plenty strong because of it.
Step 7: Paint
I painted the tubes inside and out with Satin Black spray paint.
I started with an older can of Krylon paint, and when that was used up started using this Krylon Cover Maxx stuff. Whoa! I've been using Krylon for years, and this formula seems like quite an upgrade.
Notice the difference in the 2nd photo. A coat of the old style on the left . . and a coat of the new stuff on the right. The coverage is very impressive.
Step 8: Backing
After painting, I decided it would look better with some kind of backing.
I used basic wood glue to fix some 1/4" MDF scraps to the back of the tube structure, and used random weights to hold these pieces in place till the glue dried.
Step 9: Route
I used a router with a flush trim bit to remove the extra MDF from the outside edges. This is the small router I have and I love it.
After routing, I cleaned up all the nasty MDF dust, and spray painted the new interior backsides of the tubes as well as touched up around the outside.
Step 10: Done!
All that was left was to put it in place and load it full of shoes. It could be screwed to the wall for security, but I did not do that.
Thanks for taking a look!
Participated in the
Glue Challenge 2016
NatalieS68 made it!