Introduction: Shou Sugi Ban Wooden Wall Clock
- Wood (Yellow Pine or any).
- Chart Paper (To draw stencil on it).
- Gas Stove or Flame Torch (To burn wood).
- Hard Nylon Brush.
- Steel Wool.
- Masking tape.
- Epoxy Resin (crystal clear)
- Acrylic Paint.
- Hot Glue Gun.
- Hook to hang clock.
- 12 volts Blue LED Light Strip.
- Wall Clock Kit (Machine and needles).
Step 1: Prepare the Wood
- Draw the pattern on Chart Paper.
- Cut each piece.
- Place these pieces on wood and mark with marker.
- Cut each piece of wood and arrange them.
Step 2: Do Shou_Sugi_Ban Technique
- Take a piece of wood one by one and burn it on fame. Write its number on its back so after burned them all piece placed on its desired place.
- Let them cool down.
- Rub each piece with hard nylon brush until the grains pop out from the wood. (Caution! Face mask and glasses)
- Rub the corners with steel wool if needed.
- Wipe the piece with cloth.
- Take the big center piece and make a segment in it to fit the clock machine.
- Cover that segment with masking tape so the epoxy does not get in it.
Step 3: Prepare for Epoxy Resin
- Spread the old news paper on the surface.
- Spread the masking tape on the surface but the sticky side must be up.
- Put all pieces of that tape and press them to stick it on.
- Stick the remaining tape from all side to the wood pieces. So resin must not flow outside when we pour it up.
- Mix the resin and hardener equally. Add acrylic paint in very small amount. Mix well.
- Pour it in between the wood walls.
- Wait for dry.
- Remove all the masking tape.
Step 4: Epoxy Resin on Wood. (Optional)
I really don't like the effect of resin on burnt wood. It gives plastic like look and also remove detail of wood grains. I feel it looks better before pouring resin on it. If you are going to make it so you may skip this steps.
- Spread the old news paper on surface.
- Put the structure on some wood pieces or any other thing just to make the structure above from ground.
- Stick masking tape from behind the hole which I have make to fix machine. and from the out side put hot glue on it. So it is easy to reopen that hole.
- Put clear resin on it and spread it with piece of chart paper (Always use gloves while handling resin).
- Blow hot air on the surface just to remove air bubbles. Use heat gun or hair dryer.
Step 5: Final Touch
- Fix some hook to hang it.
- Put LED strip on the back and put hot glue to fix it.
- Fix the clock machine and needles.