In this instructable, I will show you how to create a laser cutted model from 3D CAD. The side table in the picture is a small scaled model to show this process. Have fun and let me know in the comment if you have any questions.
1. Fusion 360, Solidworks or Rhino
2. Slicer for fusion (plugin) or regular slicer software
3. Adobe Illustrator
Amount of time needed
This depends on your 3D modelling skill and experience in laser cutting. Maybe you need to design a product first, so It can take one or two days.
Step 1: Step 1: 3D Modeling & Slicer
I've used Fusion 360, because it's a free 3d modeling software for students. If you're ready with your 3D model, please go to "make" and click on the "Slicer for Fusion" button. If you use other 3D modeling software tools, just op slicer and upload your STL or STEP file into Slicer.
Slicer For Fusion (plugin)
First you have to know what format you use for cutting you design. Mostly, lasercut machines can fit A2 sizes boards. I used card boards of 500 mm x 800 mm.
Important steps to use Slicer (left menu)
1. Manufacturing settings: Define your board size (A2, A3 etc.) and your unit (mm, in etc). You can change your size of your model by scaling or typing specific unit. Click on the "gear" logo to set up the thickness of your chosen board (mm or in).
2. Construction Technique: Here you can try out some different techniques to slice your product. I advice to try out all of these techniques and define for yourself which technique sets it best to your design. You can change the amount of slicers or sizes.
Slice Direction: Change the direction of a slice technique
Modify form: move or delete sliced parts
Assembly steps: showing how to assemble your product
3. If you're ready, please see the right menu how many sheets you need to manufacturer your design. If this is ok, please click on "get plans" on the left menu and safe the 2D drawings as PDF file on your computer.
Step 2: Step 2: Modify in Illustrator (depending on Your Lasercut Machine)
Change your drawings into the requirements of your lasercut machine.
1. Line thickness: 0,01 mm
2. Line color: red (cut), kiss cutting (blue)
Lasercut machine settings;
If you use a board thickness of 3 mm, please change the thickness of your Slicer file into 2,7 mm for a better connection.