/ * The processing of silicone provides the possibility of negative silicone moldings.
3D printing is carried out with the silicone negative-form processing for the reproduction technique.
"serial 3D-printing" in the sense of lithography or analogue photography. Silicone negative molds can be used to cast various materials. The Silicone Machine can be used to connect a 300-ml silicone cartridges, which can be purchased at any hardware store, to a 3D printer and process silicone. Two Nema 17 motors, which are adapted to the 3D printer, press the silicone out of the cartridge. The silicone enters a special extruder and is extruded. The extruder can be connected to the usual FTM 3D printers, such as: - Makerbot Replicator 2 / 2X - Ultimate 2+ - Prusa i3 - etc ... The silicone machine stands apart from the 3D printer as an addition to the 3D printer.
Here I will show the construction method and documentation.
Step 1: // Parts:
// all parts you need:
(001) - 8 x M4 Stainless steel hexagon socket, 18 mm
(002) - 8 x M4 Hexagon nut, 5,5 x 3 mm
(003) - 2 x Stainless steel Linear ball bearing for shaft diameters10mm
(004) - 11 x M3 Stainless steel hexagon socket, 12 mm
(005) - 2 x Rigid shaft coupling for M8 thread/ 50 mm
(006) - 4 x M8 Stainless steel hexagon socket, 30 mm
(007) - 16 x M8 Hexagon nut, 6,5 mm hoch
(008) - 2 x Linear guide, 10mm x 500mm
(009) - 4 x M8 Threaded rod, 210mm
(010) - 2 x M8 Threaded rod, 180mm
(011) - 4 x M8 Threaded rod, 80mm
(012) - 2 x M8 Threaded rod, 230mm
(013) - 2 x Aluminum linear guide 50mm Durchmesser, 100mm
(014) - 1 x tube 600mm, 8mm, 6mm Internal diameter
(015) - 2 x Nema 17 Stepping motors
(016) - 1 x Arduino UNO
(017) - 1 x Adafruit Step motor driver shield for Arduino
(018) - 1 x End-stopper Switch, 20 x 10 mm
(019) - 1 x 0,6 mm Nozzle M5
(020) - 2 x M5 Hose nipple 6 mm
(021) - 2 x Hose clamp
(022) - 1 x Aluminum rod, diameter 18mm, 80mm
(023) - 1 x Lower aluminum plate 260 x 150 mm
(024) - 1 x middel aluminum plate 210 x 80 mm
(025) - 1 x Upper aluminum plate 230 x 50 mm
(026) - 1 x power adapter 12 v 0.19 A
Step 2: Download and Measurements
// In millimeters (mm)
// Symmetrical design
// Download SVG:
/* The 3D templates are created using (027) a 3D printer. *
/ Material: PLA
// Layer Hight: 0,1mm
// Infill: 25 %
// Adapter silicone cartridge/ M5
// Download Link:
// Holder End-Stopper: (028)
// Download Link:
// Arduino holder:(029)
// Download Link:
Step 3: Instructions for Assembly for the 3D Printing Silicone Machine
1. Assembly of the three ALUMINUM PLATES (022/023/024) with the THREAD (009/010/011) on a height as picture front view.
2. Fix the ALUMINUM PLATES (022/023/024) and the THREATS.
(009/010/011) with M8 SOCKET NUT (007). Top and bottom with one M8 SOCKET NUT (007).
3. Installation of the NEMA 17 MOTOR (015) On the MID ALUMINUM PLATE
(024) with M3STAINLESS STEEL INSERTS (004).
4. Plug in the MIDDLE (024) and bottom ALUMINUM PLATE (023) the LINEAR GUIDE (013).
5. In the top ALUMINUM PLATE (025) connect the LINEAR BALL BEARDS (003).
M4 STAINLESS STEEL CYLINDER SCREWS (001) and fix it with M4 SECHSKANTMUTTER (002).
6. Cut a thread M8 into the Top ALUMINUM PLATE (023) for the THREADED ROD(012).
7. Plug in on the top ALUMINUM PLATE (025) the LINEAR BALL BEARINGS (003) in the LINEAR GUIDE (013).
8. Connect and fix the THREADS (012) to the NEMA 17 MOTORS(015) with the RIFID SHAFT COUPLING (005).
9. Plug the ADAFRUIT SHIELD (017) on the ARDUINO (016).
10.Connect the cabel of the NEMA 17 MOTOREN (015) with the ADAFRUIT SHIELD.
(017) - M1 (black + green), M2 (blue + red).(To check Which cable pairs belong together, connect and test two cable pairs Whether the motor can still be turned when it blocks, thats a cable pair).
11.Fix the ARDUINO (016) on the ARDUINOHHOLDER (029) with 3 x M3 SCREWS (007).
12. Plug The ARDUINOHOLDER (029) on the center of the MIDDEL ALUMINIUMPLATE (024).
13. Connet the ARDUINO (016) with a USB cabel to the Computer and Load the CODE
github.com/vincentbrinkmann/Silicon-engine.git on the ARDUINO
(for more Information about Arduino www.arduino.cc).
14.The END-STOPPER SWITCH (018) At the level of the silicone cartridge plug in the
LINEAR GUIDE (013) and connect with two cabels to the ADAFRUIT SHIELD (017).
15.Connect the ARDUINO (016) with the 3d-printer.
16.Plug a 300ml Silicone Cartridge in the center of the MIDDEL ALUMINIUMPLATTE (023).
17. The ADAPTER SILICONE BOTTLE M5 (027) is placed on the opening of the silicone cartridge.
18. Screw on the ADAPTER SILICONE BOTTLE / M5 (027) the M5 CLOSING TIP (020).
19.Connect the M5 HOSE NIPPEL(020) to the TUBE (014) and fix it with the HOSE HOSE CLAMP (021).
20.The FTM-Extruder removed from the 3D printer.
21. The new SILICONE EXTRUDER replaced the FTM extruder.
22.The fans of the extruder are applied to the nozzles of the silicone extruder.
23. The SILICON EXTRUDER is connected with a M5 HOSE TIPS (020) and a HOSE CLAMP (021).
24. Connect the TUBE (014) form the SILICONE ENGINE with the SILICONE EXTRUDER.
25. Screw the NOZZLE M5 (019) on the SILICONE EXTRUDER.
26.Connect the POWER (026) to ADAFRUIT-SHIELD (017).
Step 4: CODE
Arduino Code for Silicon engine
Arduino Code Upload for Arduino UNO Download the Arduino Software -> www.arduino.cc Download the library -> https://github.com/ladyada/Adafruit_Motor_Shield_V2_Library We have a great tutorial in the Adafruit Learning System with a lot of documentation and example code, so please check it out -> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-motor-shield-v2-for-arduino
Step 5: Serial 3D Printing
Since prehistoric times things were copied, rebuild and rearranged, books were transcribed manually before the invention of the printing press. Reproduction technologies are evolving out of a long history of previous techniques like lithography and photography. The “serial 3D printing” is a contemporary version that is enhanced with a negative silicone mold. Meaning that this negative form is generated based on its digital replica. The printed silicone negative mold is the origin for the subsequent series. As the negative film is the origin for the analogue image the negative silicone mold is the origin for the physically produced series.
Step 6: MANIFESTO - Serial 3D-Printing
Bremen, Juli 2015 author: Vincent Brinkmann
1/9 The one who does serial 3D printing sees himself as the producer of a series that is generated from digital data. With help of 3D printing a mold version is made.
2/9 The mold version is directly produced from digital data so there is no for a physically existing positive version.
3/9 The creating act is the cast of the objects. The producer decides which material is being used.
4/9 The casting itself becomes a ritual. In the making of a series the cast turns into a connection between its creator and the object and, through the serial repetition production becomes a ritual.
5/9 The series is produced by a number of copies determined by the artist. The copies are numbered with the appropriate total number.
6/9 Serial 3D printing critically reflects the handling of mass production. Mass production serves as artificial divergence, as the initial point of difference between object and repetition out of which a series is created.
7/9 The trace turns into the patina of the shape and is embedded in the object. The technique of reproduction remains visible.
8/9 Mistakes happen. In the technique of reproduction of serial 3D printing you cast from a mold form; all casts are unique and individual.
9/9 Serial 3D printing becomes the valid technique of art that must spread and find application.