Introduction: Simple, Inexpensive GoPro Dome Housing
A Dome Housing for a GoPro allows it to focus both above and below the water to capture cool images and video. Underwater, light diffraction causes image distortion. A spherical dome works to mitigate this effect. This Instructable shows you how to create a housing for under $5.
Step 1: Materials
- Large Plastic Container
- Domed Plastic Dessert Lid
- GoPro Mount
- Hot Glue
- Exacto Knife/Scissors
To find the containers, I made a run to my local grocery store and picked up a gallon of Arizona Juice and a dessert parfait that came in a package with a domed lid (about 4.5" dia). Make sure the larger container has a nearly flat surface capable of fitting the dome.
Step 2: Cut Larger Plastic Container
- Empty and thoroughly wash the large plastic container.
- Cut off the top of the container. Be sure to create enough space for your hand to reach to the bottom.
- Trace the dome lid, and cut a circle slightly SMALLER. Make sure the lip of the domed lid makes flush surface contact with the inside of the larger container.
Step 3: Glue GoPro Mount
- Position the GoPro lens in the center of the hole cutout.
- Apply a healthy amount of hot glue to fixture the mount to the bottom of the container.
Step 4: Glue Dome Lid
- Test to ensure the temperature of the hot glue does not warp the dome lid. Adjust temp accordingly.
- Apply a line of hot glue to the lip of the dome lid.
- Place the lid from the inside of the larger container and allow glue to set.
- Apply enough hot glue from the outside of the container to make a waterproof seal on the lid.