My wife has been working diligently to organize our pantry - and keep it that way. During the course of her efforts, she came up with several different rolls of tape that seemed to have no place to live. She made a simple request, "Can you put up some hooks here (second photo) so I can organize my tapes?"
Since I built that plenum 27 years ago, I knew that most of that surface was just drywall and hooks wouldn't be able to hold well. So, utilizing my engineering training and the thousands of dollars of tools in my shed, I told her I would come up with a better solution.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Tools, Materials and Safety
Tools: (All of the operations can be done with hand tools)
- Table Saw
- Tape Measure
- Band Saw
- Drill Press
- Drill Bits
- Center Punch
Materials: (A very flexible list)
- 1/4" Oak Plywood, 15" X 15"
- 5/16" Poplar Dowel, 24"
- Wood Glue
- Spray Polyurethane
Safety: During this process, I (mostly) followed safe practices - safety glasses, hearing protection, short sleeves, etc. Please pay attention to SAFETY - I need folks to read my stuff.
Step 2: Planning
The space is 15 inches by 15 inches so I cut a piece of paper that size and laid the tapes on it until she approved. I scrounged a nice piece of 1/4" Oak plywood from the offcut pile and got out a couple of 5/16" dowels.
Then I repeated the layout step with the plywood, rearranging until we felt we had maximized it.
Step 3: Out to the Shed
Using a sander, I sanded the surface smooth and rounded the edges
I marked the hole locations and used a spring-loaded center punch for the drill to start.
I used a 5/16" spade bit to drill all the holes, only drilling a little way from the top side then turning the board over and finishing the holes to avoid breakout of the plies.
Then I set a fence on the band saw at 2" and cut the 12 posts.
Step 4: Back to the Pantry
I applied a small (VERY small) drop of glue to each peg and set each in place with a small tap of the hammer.
A couple of coats of quick-drying clear spray polyurethane, two clearance holes for hanging (not much weight) and we're ready for installation
The last picture shows the completed project and my wife approves!
Happy wife, happy life.
Thanks for reading this far, folks. If you'd like to comment, I will answer back.
Be safe, live well, enjoy life, have fun, make something.