Mushrooms can be cooked in many ways. This recipe here is a very simple and tasty one in which mushrooms are stir-fried with lots of onions without any spices.
I made this dish with 200 grams of Button Mushroom which can be served as one of the main courses
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Clean Mushrooms
- Place the mushroom in a vessel and add handful of salt
- Add small amount of water and clean the mushrooms to remove any trace of growing media.
- Drain out the salt water and wash once again in clean water
Step 2: Dice Mushrooms
When you buy farm-grown Button mushroom, you can find a portion of stem attached to the heads. Do not throw them out as they can also be used in cooking
- Detach the stems from the heads and dice them to small pieces
- Then you can dice the heads to about half an inch cubes with a knife
Step 3: Prepare the Ingredients
- Take about 200 grams of onions and chop them into small pieces. I have taken 200 grams which is equal to the weight of Mushrooms.
- Take 3 to 4 Green chilies and split them in half. You can add few more as per your taste.
- One teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black-gram lentils
- A bunch of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Half a teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoon of Cooking oil (We use Rice Bran oil)
Step 4: Preparation Step 1
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds mixed with split black-gram lentils
- Once the mustard seeds start to crack, add a bunch of curry leaves and Cumin seeds
- Add the split green chilies to the pan and stir fry for a minute
Step 5: Preparation Step 2
- Now add the chopped onions to the pan and saute till the onion pieces are fried to a golden brown
- Add the diced mushroom pieces to the frying pan and mix well with other ingredients
- If you look at the last picture, you can see that the water content from mushrooms is oozing out. You need to stir-fry till all moisture content evaporates from the pan
Step 6: Preparation Step 3
- After a few minutes of stir-frying, all water content is evaporated from the pan
- Add half a teaspoon of Asafoetida powder and salt to taste.
Step 7: Serve Hot
- Now our Mushroom stir-fry is ready
- Transfer the Mushroom stir-fry from the pan to a serving dish
This simple mushroom stir-fry with onion tastes so good, everybody at our home loves it. This dish is served as one of the main course with lunch.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017