Intro: Simply Perfect Roasted Chicken
This method is perfect for everyone with a gas grill and no rotisserie mechanism.
The secret of the method is to place a pan with water underneath the chicken. All fat dripping from the chicken is captured in the water. No fat drips on any hot metal or in the fire (no carcinogenic fumes). Also the water-bath keeps the chicken more moist.
This roast chicken is dead simple to prepare and is always moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. Cooking time is 2 hours and you only need to turn it once!
Step 1: Season the Chicken
- Wash the chicken and pat it dry with a papertowel.
- Season the chicken with salt and rub it in.
- Rub the chicken with a bit of olive oil
- Generously coat the chicken with garlic powder.
- Dust the chicken with Italian herbs.
Please note that the seasoning is completely up to you. Even if you just use garlic salt and nothing else, it will still be great.
You can grill the chicken right after seasoning. But if you have time, season the chicken a few hours before grilling.
Step 2: Prepare the Grill
- Find a pan or baking pan that will fit your grill. You want the front burner to not be covered by the pan.
- Fill the pan with approx. 1/2 inch of water.
- Place the pan under the grill where the chicken will be placed.
- Leave the front burner uncovered.
- Preheat the gill using the front burner.
Step 3: Grill for One Hour
- Once the grill has heated up, place the chicken breast-down on the grill.
- Close the grill and keep the temperature at 400 F (I go by the temperature on the lid). On my grill this requires 3/4 of the front burner.
- You now let the chicken grill for one hour. The first time you might want to check that the temperature stays constant and that the chicken does not burn where it's closest to the lid.
Step 4: Grill for the Second Hour
- After one hour, turn the chicken to be breast-up.
- While turning pour out any liquid accumulating in the cavity of the chicken.
Step 5: Done!
After grilling for 2 hours total, you chicken is done!
Step 6: Sweet Potatoe Side
Sweet potatoes can be placed next to the chicken above the water bath. 2 hours is a bit long, ideally add them 30 minutes after the chicken went on the grill.
Step 7: Baked Potatoe Side
- Place the washed Russet potatoes directly over the front burner.
- Turn them every 15 minutes.
- After one hour you can push them to the back to finish cooking.
Runner Up in the