A simple recipe to make Chicken Biryani using a slow electric cooker or a crock pot.
Chicken Biryani is one of the most sought after non-vegetarian dish in India and some of the Asian countries. Making chicken biryani needs experience, otherwise the dish will be spoiled and loss its taste and aroma. There are two main versions of making chicken biryani. One is to cook rice and meat separately with necessary spices and layer the cooked chicken over the rice. The other version is to cook all ingredients together to make the biryani which is more delicious than the first method.
Many people from Western and European countries like biryani but find it very difficult to make it at their home. This instructable will guide you with simple to follow step-by-step procedure in making chicken biryani at home using a slow cooker or a crock pot
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Utensils Required
You need the following utensils
- A frying pan
- A slow electric cooker or a crock pot
Use a ladle specially made for non-stick frying pan
Step 2: Main Ingredients
One of the main ingredient used to make biryani is rice. In South India a special variety of rice known as Zeera Samba rice is used. However basmati rice is the most common variety used everywhere. Here I have used long grained basmati rice.
For making biryani for four people, you need about 300 grams of basmati rice and 300 grams of boneless chicken. You can use other meat also as you desire in lieu of chicken.
Step 3: Other Ingredients
Here is the list of other ingredients I have used. This may slightly vary from other recipes.
- Two medium sized tomatoes
- Two medium sized onions
- One small size lemon
- Four to five pieces of Garlic cloves
- A cubic inch piece of ginger
- Three to four green chilies
- Half a teaspoon of red chili powder
- One teaspoon of Garam masala powder
- One teaspoon of coriander powder
- One teaspoon of Turmeric, cumin seed and fennel seed mixed powder (Home made)
- One teaspoon of roasted Cumin seed powder
- One teaspoon of roasted fennel seed powder
- Small quantities of Green cardamom, Star anise, Bay leaves, Cinnamon and Cloves
- 3 tablespoon of cooking oil (Any refined oil will do)
- 3 tablespoon of Ghee (clarified butter)
- Half a cup of curd
- Salt to taste
- Handful of mint and coriander leaves
- Water for cooking. This should be about twice the quantity of rice by volume
Though cumin seed and fennel seed powders were mixed with turmeric powder, I have added one teaspoon each of roasted cumin seed and fennel seed powders for more aroma.
You can get all the required spices from any Asian store nearby.
Step 4: Prepare Rice and Chicken
Prior to cooking you need to prepare the rice and meat ready
- Rinse / clean rice and soak in water
- Clean meat and add curd
- Extract lemon juice and add to the meat
You can keep them aside so that the rice can become little soft and the meat to get marinated. In the mean time you can also prepare other required ingredients
Step 5: Prepare Other Ingredients
While the rice gets soaked and the meat gets marinated, you can finish all other preparatory works
- Chop onions
- Make tomato puree in a mixer-grinder
- Make ginger - garlic paste
- Chop mint and coriander leaves
- Slice green chilies into long pieces
Step 6: Preparatory Cooking -1
All oil based frying and sauteing is to be done prior to add the mixture in the slow cooker. This will also help in removing the raw smell from the ingredients
- Heat a pan in medium heat and add refined oil
- When the oil is heated, add spices like Green cardamom, Star anise, Bay leaves, Cinnamon and Cloves
- Add roasted cumin seed and fennel seed powders and stir well
- Add ginger - garlic paste
- Add sliced green chilies
- Add powdered red chili, coriander, garam masala and turmeric mix powder. Stir well
- Add chopped onions, Tomato puree and chopped mint & coriander leaves
- Add salt to taste. Saute till the raw smell disappears from the mix
Step 7: Preparatory Cooking - 2
- Now you can add the marinated chicken pieces
- Drain out water from rice, add to the pan and mix well using the ladle
Step 8: Transfer to the Electric Cooker
Now you can transfer the mixture from the pan to the electric cooker
- Place the perforated bottom plate in the removable insert of the cooker. This will prevent the solids touching the bottom of the pan and getting burned but allow only water to seep through.
- Transfer the rice - meat mixture from the frying pan to the removable insert
- Add water, which was measured and kept aside earlier
- Add ghee (clarified butter)
- Close the lid and place the insert inside the cooker
- Power up the cooker.
This will take about 18 to 20 minutes to completely make the biryani. The equipment will automatically shut off once cooking is completed. So, there is no need for anyone to be around while the cooking takes place.
- Once the equipment shuts down, remove the lid
- You can find some of the spices separated and stacked at the top
- Mix everything together well using a larger spoon and Put the lid back on
- Keep the cooked biryani for 10 more minutes inside the equipment without power
- The existing low heat from the cooker will remove extra moisture and make the biryani more aromatic.
Remove the inner vessel with the biryani and serve hot.
Few notes on chicken biryani
- The above quantity serves well for four people.
- The ingredient list may vary from recipe to recipe. You can modify it to suit your own taste
- Some people add food colors to make it more attractive. I have not added any in this recipe
- You can substitute chicken with any meat of your choice.
- Meat varieties, which take longer to cook can be cooked to required level in the pan itself before transferring to slow cooker
Enjoy your home-made, slow-cooked Chicken Biryani...
Participated in the
Let's Party! Challenge
Participated in the
Participated in the
Crock Pot Challenge