This Instructable is for the people who want deliciously creamy soul-warming chicken and dumplings without all the work, using ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen!
What I like about this recipe - which I got from my daughter - is that you can add veggies if you'd like, or you can just eat the best part of chicken and dumplings: the chicken and dumplings. And I made sure there are a lot of dumplings in this revised recipe!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 9 boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or 4-5 chicken breast halves)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sage
- 4 cans (7.5 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth (about 3.5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3-4 tubes (7.5 oz) refrigerated biscuit dough
- Optional: diced carrots, onion, & celery
- Optional: chopped parsley for serving
Step 2: Fill the Cooker
- Add chicken - Put the chicken breasts or tenders in the slow cooker first and top with seasonings (poultry seasoning, paprika, pepper, sage).
- Optional: Add vegetables if desired.
- Mix and add liquids - In a separate bowl, mix the condensed chicken soup, chicken broth, and water and pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on high for 4.5 hours.
Step 3: Dumpling Time
- Optional: Dice chicken - take the chicken from the slow cooker and dice into pieces. When we use chicken tenders, I skip this step since when you scoop yourself a bowl, the tenders just fall apart anyways.
- Dice biscuits - Crack open those cans of biscuits and rip up or quarter each biscuit. Keep in mind that the biscuits do soak up more liquid as leftovers and get even bigger. If you want smaller bites, just cut your biscuits into smaller peices.
- Add biscuits - Plop the diced biscuits into the slow cooker. Gently push the biscuits down into the "soup" to ensure they get covered, but do not stir! The biscuits will get warm and melty before they firm up and cook, so if you stir them in, they will stretch out and mix into the soup. No dumplings for you!
- Cook for 90 more minutes on high
Step 4: Dig In
Ladle yourself a bowl or two of this easy, heartwarming slow cooker meal! Top with chopped parsley if desired.