A simple, slow cooker meal – corn chowder with blackened chicken. Two steps to a weeknight meal that is pure comfort food at its finest.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Using the slow cooker means my house will smell amazing within just a few hours. I am on a roll with my slow cooker the last couple of weeks. Maybe it’s the weather or maybe it’s because my days seem to be getting busier. Tuesdays are the worst for me so this might become a regular thing.
- 3 cups cow milk
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (sometimes labeled as country style)
- 2 cans (14¾ ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ pounds chicken breast
Ingredients for blackened seasoning
- 2 ¼ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
Ingredients for toppings
- shredded manchego cheese
- chopped fresh baby spinach
- Combine first 9 ingredients in your slow cooker, stirring to mix thoroughly. Cook on low (6-8 hours), or on high (5 hours).
- Meanwhile mix together ingredients for blackened seasoning. Sprinkle onto chicken and press down.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray a cookie sheet with oil. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat for 3-5 minutes until hot.
- Mix together the paprika, curry powder, dried thyme, ground black pepper, and dried oregano.
- Spray chicken breasts with cooking spray on both sides, then coat the top of the chicken breasts evenly with the spice mixture.
- Place the chicken in the hot pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Turn, and cook 3 minutes on the other side.
- Place the breasts on the prepared baking sheet spice side up. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 10-20 minutes.
- Chop into bite size chunks. Just before serving corn chowder add chopped chicken chunks, sprinkle with cheese, and spinach.