Intro: Slow Cooker Indian Dal Makhani
Slow cooker is seriously one of the best thing in cooking.Slow cooker dal makhani is genius because dal makhani was originally made over an open wood fire. It was slow cooked all night so that you had all the delicious smoky flavours of a real dal makhani, and creamy, will melt in the mouth.
And that’s exactly what we are doing here. Slow cooking this dal makhani all night or all day, and keeping it warm in the slow cooker till you are ready to eat and have the amazing experience combined of pungent , tangy and creamy flavor.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup urad dal (whole black gram lentils)
- 1/2 cup Rajma (kidney beans)
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 Cardamom Pods ( 2 Black ones and 2 green ones)
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
- 8 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped or minced)
- 2 Green Chillies (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 4 large Tomatoes (puree)
- 2 large onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tablespoons Butter + extra
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi
- Coriander leaves
- 1 Lemon
- 3 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Pinch nutmeg powder
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Soak the lentils and kidney beans overnight or 8-9 hours.
- Drain the soaked lentil mixture and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add 4 cups of water , 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover it with the lid and let it be cooked for 3-4 hours until it softens.
- Check it on intervals for the water level , it should to be soaked in water.
- This is how it looks around 3-4 hours.(picture given)
Step 3: MAKING
- While that's happening, I cook the aromatics on the side. In a hot pan, add required amount of Ghee/butter or oil.
- Add the whole spices- bay leaf and cumin seeds and once it starts spluttering, add cloves,cinnamon stick & cardamom.
- Saute till the spices become aromatic. Then add chopped onions. Stir and saute the onions on a low flame till the become light golden.
- Then add garlic ginger paste and saute it till the aroma of raw ginger- garlic goes away.
- Then add the tomato puree and stir again.
- Add dry spices- coriander powder, turmeric powder , kashmiri red chili powder and garam masla.
- Stir very well and saute the mixture on low flame till you fat releasing from sides.
- Add this mixture to the lentils and give it a good stir. Taste and adjust seasoning( salt ) and let it cook for another 1-1/2 hour.
- Stir it well being uncovered. Keep on stirring often so that so that lentils don't stuck to the bottom.
- You can add more water if the gravy looks thicken or dry.
- Add cream and mix it well.
- Then add nutmeg powder and kasuri methi.
- Let the cooker be on Warm mode till the serving time.
Step 4: GARNISHING
In the serving Bowl , add cream on top , lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Serve this delicious daal with steamed Basmati rice or Tandori Roti/Naan.
Runner Up in the
Slow Cooker Challenge