The most comforting meals are ones that you spend with your family with food that you preferably cook yourself. This is a recipe for a delicious slow-roasted lamb that I have cooked several times for my family and friends that has always been well received. It's fairly hassle-free to make and definitely hassle-free to eat.
Step 1: Ingredients
For this meal you will need:
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1 tsp ground cumin (I use whole seeds which I grind right before cooking for freshness)
Juice 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 onion, roughly chopped
1 boneless shoulder of lamb, weighing about 3-4 lb (it is possible to use other parts of the lamb, but the time of cooking may vary)
Step 2: Preparation
1. Assemble the molasses, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cumin in a bowl and mix well.
2. Place the lamb in a casserole and pour the molasses mixture made in step 1 over it.
3. Sprinkle the lamb evenly with garlic and onions and press it into the meat. Make sure the lamb is fat-side down in the dish.
4. Cover and marinate the lamb for a minimum of two hours, or overnight.
Step 3: Cooking
1. Remove the marinated lamb from the fridge and flip it fat-side up.
2. Cover the casserole and bake in the oven at a temperature of 275°F for 3 hours.
3. While waiting, feel free to enjoy a glass of wine with your friends and family :)
4. Remove the lamb from the oven and place it on a board to rest.
Note:In our family, we prefer well-done meat. If you like your meat differently, check the lamb with a meat thermometer periodically to ensure it reaches your desired level.
Step 4: Sauce
1. Place a pot on the stove with a sieve on top.
2. Pour the juices from the casserole through the strainer to separate the onions and garlic from the sauce.
3. Skim extra fat from the top.
4. Boil until it reaches your desired thickness. Taste the sauce to make sure it is appropriately seasoned to your taste.
Step 5: Serving
1. Carve the meat.
2. Serve the lamb and pour some sauce on top. I served mine with a side of whole-wheat couscous with chopped pistachios, parsley, and pomegranate seeds, but you can choose any sides that you wish.
4. Enjoy! :)