Introduction: Small Wind Generator - Rebulid, Relocate and Replace
Well through time, trails and errors. I think I've about got a design that might hold for awhile and to relocate it at my mom and dads.
They have a small solar panel with regulator and batteries that power 2 bright LED lights on their front porch.
I have a phone line running from the wind generator to the voltage regulator with a diode to keep the batteries from powering the motor to the (WG).
Lately we have been hit by some pretty strong thunderstorms with high winds. The wind generator (WG) and furling mechanism has held up very well
So I figured it was time to take down the WG and check out the gearing, chuck and motor.
Everything looked great. Very little wear to the teeth on the gears.
I replaced the kiln dried 1x4 with pressure treated 1x4's.
Made a new front cap, the original cap had been chewed away by various issues.
Added more Teflon grease to the gearing.
I then took down the small older WG at my mom and dads and replaced it with the larger geared WG.
I used the base plate and pipe from the older WG and installed it on the newer WG.
I ran an extra support cable from the mast to the house and then attached the phone line to the cable.
I took apart the older (WG) expecting to find the bearings to the motor wore out from the slight imbalance of the blades, but everything was fine.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Participated in the
Green Tech Contest