Visiting malls can be fun. But dragging the Shopping Cart along as you fill it with stuff is something that is downright annoying. The pain of pushing it through those narrow aisles, making those sharp turns! So, here’s (kind of) an offer that you can’t refuse – how ‘bout transforming that regular, boring Shopping Cart into a cool DIY smart shopping cart that you can control with a few taps on your phone?
Sounds like exactly what you need, right?
Let’s get started then!
Step 1: Things You'll Need:
Step 2: Making of Shopping Cart
- Take the cart and remove its wheels using Nose Plier.
- Now, all you have is a cart without wheels.
- Attach two DC motors, one of each side of the back end of the cart using the cable tie.
Now, its time to give wheels to the cart.
- Attach the wheels on the DC Motor.
- Now, attach the castor wheel on the front end of the cart with the help of cable ties. Finally, cut the extra cable tie using the wire cutter.
Now, all you need to attach evive to the cart using the cable ties.
- Attach HC-05 Module on evive at its dedicated slot provided. You can clearly see the connections from the Connection Section Below.
- We are using Bluetooth HC-05 module for wireless connectivity.
- Thus, your shopping cart is now ready.
Step 3: Logic and Flowchart
In this case, we are communicating wirelessly. The user gives instructions by pressing the buttons on the gamepad in the evive app, which you can download from the link given below:
The robot takes actions according to the button pressed.
For example, if Down is pressed the robot will move backward; if none of the buttons are pressed, the robot will stop.
Below is the complete flowchart:
Step 4: Circuitry:
For the Shopping Cart, we have to connect the Bluetooth module (HC05). In the following figure, you can observe where the Bluetooth module’s 6 pin connectors are plugged on evive.
Note: Bluetooth module’s RX pin will go to TX3V3 pin on evive and others correspondingly. Note that on powering evive, a red LED will start blinking on the module. If you do not connect the module correctly, it may get damaged.
Step 5: Scratch Script
The following image shows the Scratch Script which you need to upload to evive to control the Shopping Cart from our smartphone. We will assign the actions with respect to each button on the app.
To know more about Scratch visit here:
Step 6: Connecting HC05
Pair HC05 Bluetooth module in your Smartphone (Android only). The default password is “1234”. Go to evive App and click on SCAN. You will find the paired devices here. Select the appropriate device. After a successful connection, it will show connected. Go to GamePad and select normal Gamepad as the control.
Step 7: Conclusion
With this, your DIY Smart Shopping Cart is ready! Next time you visit the mall, get ready for some attention as it makes heads turn when you pass by others!
To explore more projects, visit: