Introduction: Snow Globe Base
This instructable shows how to make a simple wooden base for a ball, snow globe, etc.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Round a Square
- Draw an 'X' from the square's corner to corner.
- Add a center-point dent using a center punch tool or carbide scribing tool.
- Draw as large a circle as the square permits with a compass.
- Draw tangent lines at each corner.
- Saw off each corner.
Step 2: Center the Faceplate
- Trace the face plate edge onto the wood.
- Trace the mounting holes for the face plate.
- Drill shallow holes for the mounting screws.
- Screw the mounting plate onto the wood.
Step 3: Shape the Wood
- Round the edges first.
- Add the inner concave surface.
- Add outer bevel.
Step 4: Sand and Finish
Sand the wood down in steps. As pictured, I used the following grits in order 80, 120, 220, and finally a coat of 1/3 bees wax, 1/3 walnut oil, and 1/3 mineral oil. This leaves a dull finish, but brings out details in the wood.
Participated in the