Make sure to always wear safety glasses!
THIS IS NOT A PROJECT I CAME UP WITH ON MY OWN.
Step 1: Objective
The purpose of this project is to get the student to learn about the electronic components he/she will be working with. Along with soldering practices to develop proper skills.
Step 2: Checking Parts
Make sure that you have all of your parts. (the symbol will help you locate the spot where you will be soldering your parts in the printed circuit board)
- 100 ohm Resistor (1/4w) *quantity 4 / symbol; R6 to R9
- 1 K ohm Resistor (1/4) *quantity 1 / symbol R5
- 2.2 K ohm Resistor (1/4) *quantity 1 / symbol R1
- 10 K ohm Resistor (1/4) *quantity 1 / symbol R4
- 330 K ohm Resistor (1/4) *quantity 1 / symbol R2
- 100 ohm Resistor (1/2) *quantity 1 / symbol R3
- 1 uF Capacitor *quantity 1 / symbol C1
- .01 uF Capacitor (103) *quantity 1 / symbol C2
- 1N4001 Diode *quantity 1 / symbol D2
- 1N4735 Zener Diode *quantity 1 / symbol D1
- PN2222 Transistor *quantity 1 / symbol Q1
- Red LED *quantity 2 / symbol LED2, LED4
- Green LED *quantity 2 / symbol LED1, LED3
- 555 Integrated Circuit *quantity 1 / symbol IC3
- 74LS107 Integrated Circuit *quantity / symbol IC1, IC2
- 8 Pin Socket
- Battery Snap
- PC Board
Step 3: Assembling
All the soldering will be done on the green side of the PC Board. Solder ONE AT A TIME, you can use blue tape on the white side of the PC Board to prevent your parts from falling out.
Step 4: Step 1 - Resistors
TIP: I recommend you trim the excess wire off after each solder to make it easier to solder the rest.
1. insert and solder one at a time, four 100 ohm, 1/4 W resistor in the locations marked R6, R7, R8, R9
2. Insert and solder 10K, 1/4w resistor in location marked R4
3. insert and solder 2.2K, 1/2w resistor in location marked R1
4. insert and solder 330K, 1/4w resistor in location marked R2
5. insert and solder 1K, 1/4w resistor in locaion marked R5
6. insert and solder 100, 1/2w resistor in location marked R3
Step 5: Step 2 - Capacitors, Diodes and Transistor
TIP: The + lead goes in the hole marked "+" (longer side is positive)
1. insert and solder 1 uF capacitor in location marked C1
2. insert and solder .01 uF capacitor in location marked C2
3. insert and solder PN2222 transistor in location marked Q1
4. insert and solder 1N4001 diode in location marked D2. Make sure that the cathode goes into the proper hole.
5. insert and solder 1N4735 Zener diode in location marked D1. Make sure that the cathode goes into the proper hole.
Step 6: Step 6 - LED's
1. Insert and solder two red LED's in locations marked LED2, LED4. Make sure the longer lead goes into the hole marked (+).
2. Insert and solder two green LED's in locations marked LED1, LED3. Make sure the longer lead goes into the hole marked (+).
3. If you have not done so, trim off the excess lead length.
Step 7: Final Steps
1, insert and solder two 14-Pin IC sockets in locations marked IC1 and IC2
2. insert and solder one 8-Pin IC socket in location marked IC3
3. insert and solder black lead of battery snap into the hole marked "GND" and the red lead into the hole marked "+9v"
4. insert carefully two ICs marked "74LS107" in sockets marked IC1 and IC2. This will be placed on top of the two 14-Pin IC sockets.
5. insert IC marked 555 in socket "IC3" with proper orientation. This one will be place on top of the 8-Pin IC socket.
Step 8: Testing
Use the picture to guide you through the testing process before connecting the 9V Battery.