Introduction: Sore Throat Lozenges and Decoction With Plectranthus Amboinicus Leaves
Plectranthus Amboinicus is a very aromatic medicinal plant from 'Lamiaceae' family. This plant is also known as Mexican Mint, Indian Borage and Caribbean Oregano.
In this instructable we will see how we can prepare Lozenges and Decoction for sore throats and cough
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Harvest the Leaves
- Harvest 6 to 7 young leaves from the plant. Also pluck about 6 to 7 Holy Basil leaves
- We will also include a large piece of Ginger for preparation
- Rinse the leaves in water to get rid of insects and soil and then cut into small pieces
Step 2: Crush Ginger
- Remove skin from Ginger and cut into small pieces.
- Crush the ginger pieces using a mortar and pestle arrangement
Step 3: Boil the Ingredients
- Take about 2 cups of water and add all ingredients to water
- Boil till the water is reduced to one cup
For preparation of Lozenges, I have used small amount of the decoction and filtered out the same
Step 4: Boil With Jaggery
- Place the filtered decoction over medium flame and add half a cup of jaggery to it
- Continuously stir the mix with a ladle
Step 5: Make Lozenges
- The mix in the pot will thicken soon and will fall like a thread from the ladle
- Now remove the pan from stove
- Take small amount of the mix in a spoon and form them into round shapes
- You can store them for some time in air-tight containers. Wrap each piece separately using wrapper used for chocolates, other wise they will stick to each other
Whenever you are feeling Cough or Sore Throat, take one, place it in your mouth and slowly dissolve it
You will feel relief with this home-made Lozenge
Step 6: The Decoction
Alternately, you can also filter the left-over Decoction in the bowl and drink with honey or sugar for treating cough and sore throat
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017