Intro: Sorghum and Natural Gum Cookies (No Bake)
Sorghum is a staple food in India. It is used in gluten free baking. It is used to make flat-breads which is very famous as Jowar Roti in India. We can make pancakes, porridge, cakes etc with Sorghum flour. Sorghum flour is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is high in iron, protein and dietary fiber. Hence, I use this in my cooking. I make various kinds of cookies with different flours for my toddler so she gets all the nutrients possible. I had made these cookies sometime back and thought of updating it in this instructable so I get a forum to explain how great Sorghum is for our diet.
I have also used natural gum which is a fantastic ingredient for our health and great especially during winters because it helps build resistance to cold.
I have made these cookies the traditional way we make them in India. Hope you like it. Thank you.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Sorghum Flour - 3/4 Cup
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1 1/2 Cups
- Natural Gum - 1/2 Cups
- Sugar - 1 1/4 Cups (adjust to your taste)
- Clarified Butter - 1 1/4 Cups
- Cardamom - 8 to 10
Step 2: Preparation Steps:
- Powder cardamom as finely as possible using a mortar and pestle.
- Roast natural gum in clarified butter.
- It puffs up to double its size and can be easily crushed to a course powder.
- Use a rolling pin and crush the natural gum to a finer texture and keep aside.
- In a pan, warm up the clarified butter and roast the sorghum and whole wheat flour till there is a nice aroma and its kind of brown in color.
- Mix the crushed natural gum, sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Let it cool just enough so we can handle the batter. If it becomes cold, then we cannot make balls.
- Make small balls.
- Add more clarified butter if you are unable to make balls.
- Use some sprinkles as decoration. The cookies are ready. Store in air tight containers. It remains fresh for a pretty long time because of the clarified butter.
The Sorghum and Natural Gum Cookies are ready. Enjoy!