Introduction: Sourdough Starter
- Things you will need
- Glass Jar or Stoneware* (We used a old pickle jar and a small mason jar)
- Flour (We used All Purpose Flour)
- Water (If you use tap water you need to let is sit for a 24 hours to make sure that the Chlorine evaporates, Bottled is better for this)
- A non metal spoon or spatula**
- a damp cloth
- a few drop of honey or a pinch of yeast
*Glass or stoneware is best. Sourdough tends to “eat” plastic!
**Metal bowls or spoons will kill your yeast!!! Plastic, silicone, or wooden utensils are best.
We lived in a place where the tap water was TERRIBE and we never could get the starter to turn out correctly even if the water sat for a few days! You may need to use straight bottled water.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.