These are my favorite appetizer at Chili's restaurant. I think the ones I make at home taste even better!
• Cutting board
• Chopping knife
• Mini chopper (Optional)
• Medium mixing bowl
• Small bowl (for 1 egg)
• Pastry brush
• Medium frying pan
• Deep fryer
• Cheese grater (for shredding cheese if needed)
• Small mixing bowl (for shredding cheese if needed)
Egg roll Ingredients:
• 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
• cooking oil spray
• 1/4 cup minced red pepper
• 1/4 cup minced green onion
• 2/3 cup frozen corn
• 1/2 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
• 1/4 cup minced fresh spinach
• 1/4 cup diced canned jalapeno peppers
• 1 tbsp dried parsley
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
• 12 (7-inch) flour tortillas
• 1 egg
• Oil for your deep fryer
Avacado ranch ingredients:
• 1 fresh avocado
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp buttermilk
• 3 tsp white vinegar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp dried parsley
• 1/4 tsp onion powder
• 1/8 tsp dried dill weed
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Step 1: Cook Chicken Breasts
Heat a frying pan to medium on the stove top. Spray with cooking spray and fry chicken breasts until cooked through. (I used my grill pan.)
Step 2: Prep Ingredients
- Add red peppers and green onions to mini chopper and mince (or mince by hand). Set Aside.
- Dice the cooked chicken into small cubes, add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the frozen corn and black beans to the bowl.
- Mince the spinach, dice the jalapenos, and add them to the bowl.
- Add the parsley, cumin, chilli powder, and salt to the bowl.
- If your cheese is not already shredded, use a cheese grater to shred it into a small mixing bowl.
Step 3: Prepare Filling
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Spray generously with cooking spray.
- Add the peppers and green onions, and cook 1 to 2 minutes until tender.
- Add all the ingredients from the mixing bowl at once.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the cheese and stir until well combined and melted.
Step 4: Roll the Egg Rolls
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for up to 2 min (until hot).
- Place a tortilla on a clean counter or table top.
- Spoon 1/12 of the filling mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla.
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl and beat it with a whisk.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly away from your self, stopping before reaching the end (see photos).
- Brush the beaten egg onto the inside of tortilla with a pastry brush (this will glue it shut).
- Roll the tortilla up the rest of the way.
- Place finished egg roll on a cookie sheet with the seam side down.
Continue rolling the egg rolls until you have rolled all 12, and placed them onto the cookie sheet.
Step 5: Freeze Egg Rolls
Freeze egg rolls on the cookie sheet for 3 hours.
Step 6: Prepare Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Put all the ingredients including fresh avocado (peeled and scooped out) into your mini chopper.
- Blend with your mini chopper until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Transfer to 2 small custard dishes
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
(If you do not have a mini chopper - mash the avocado in a small mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and mix by hand until well combined.)
Step 7: Fry Egg Rolls
- Heat the oil in your deep fryer to 350F.
- Fry each egg roll for 7 minutes.
- Transfer cooked egg rolls to a plate with paper towels and allow to cool.
- Cut egg rolls diagonally lengthwise (see photo).
- Serve with avocado ranch dipping sauce.
Participated in the
Mexican Food Contest