Introduction: Soy Candles- Colored With Crayons
I made candles using soy flakes and crayons. The crayons were used to tint the soy flakes.
Step 1: Materials and Set Up
1. I laid out newspaper. (I make a mess every time I make candles and this makes clean up a breeze.) The pictures show how I set up my table for making candles.
2. The other pictures show the containers I used. The metal container are candle molds. The smaller metal containers are floating clandle molds.
3. The glass pieces are vintage items I picked up at good-will or odd pieces I had.
4. I saw on pintrest that a person used cupcake foil to molde cute cupcake candles.( I used my metal cupcake pans to hold the shape.)
5. The blue ice Cube trays are used to make melt-aways (for warmers)
6. The last picture is old pencils I use to keep wick in place, scissors and laundry pins.
Step 2: Adding Wicks
Next, I use wick sticks (small round stickers that are sticky on both sides) and place them at the bottom of my glass items so the wick will stay in place once I add the soy wax.
I also use pencils and laundry pins to hold the wicks in place.
Step 3: Add Crayons for Color
Since I have 2 little girls they helped me peel the crayons and picked the colors.
The last picture shows the crayons added to the soy flakes prior to melting. I only used a few crayons of each color.
Step 4: Melting the Soy Flakes
When melting the soy flakes I use a double boiler method. I have an old pot and an old coffee pot. I place the pot on medium heat and stir until melted.
Step 5: Pouring the Soy Into Molds
After the soy had melted I added a scented oil. We used buttercream oil for the cupcake candles and lavender vanilla for the other candles.
I bought the oil, soy, wicks and metal molds off of ebay. I don't have a certain company I use for the oil scents. I just ebay searched "candle oils."
Step 6: Cooling Candles
Since we are in an artic freeze I placed the candles outside to cool.
Once the candles felt cool, I peeled away the cupcake foil. We used two colors for a layered look for the cupcakes.
Step 7: Finishing Touches
Last I bag up the perfect candles for gifts for the teacher this Spring and keep the not so perfect candles for my house ;) it's a fun simple way to spend a snow day!
Participated in the
Manly Crafts Contest