Intro: Spam Can to Jeepney
When I saw Spam cans in the supermarket I thought; Hey they have the same shape as the body of a Philippines Jeepney (a Jeepney is one of the most popular forms of public transportation in the Philippines)
Let’s get one and try to make this type car out of it.
So for this project we need a Spam can (or similar brand, they’re actually all the same type of cans)
Furthermore I used
- Soda cans (for the other body parts and wheels)
- A sharp knife or/and a scissor
- Glue (a glue gun works great)
- Some markers for colouring
Step 1: Check Out My Quick Video Tutorial!
This video will show you how to make a Jeepney toy car out of the Spam Can.
Along with the video you can follow the (easy) steps below :-)
Step 2: Make the Cabin
- Cut of the bottom (or the actually the top) of the can to give the cabin the desired height.
- Draw the shapes of the windows and doors to the can (it doesn’t come super precise since in reality every jeepney also looks different, just be creative).
Get your knife and cut out the drawings, be careful because the knife is sharp and so are the edges of the can.
Step 3: The Bonnet
Take the lid of the can and cut it into the right size for the bonnet.
Now shape it, I used my table edges to make the bends
Once you’re happy with the result glue the bonnet to the cabin.
Step 4: Soda Can Parts
Cut open a soda can and make the wheel arches, a floor pan, a grill and front bumper.
Stick it all to the body.
Step 5: The Wheels
To create the wheels I used a coin to make a perfect circle.
For 1 wheel I used 2 circles and one strip of aluminium (from the soda can)
I painted it black and glued them together.
Glue the wheels to the car and that’s basically it.
Step 6: Add More Details
I liked to add some more details like mirrors, flags and some text
* sorry in my photos the Philippines flag is still upside down (I corrected it now)
Step 7: Done
Super easy little project. I hope you liked it and it maybe gave you some inspiration to also make a simple car like this.
Thank you for checking out my Instructable ;-)