Easy and fun spam recipe with in the package of an exotic japanese rice ball (Onigiri). A great recipe to make with your family, and the kids get to bring it to school the next day for lunch too!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: How to Cook Rice
Using a rice cooker:
add 2 cups of medium/short grain rice; Koshihikari is the preferred brand but any rice with medium/high starch content is okay.
rinse the rice once with water, drain, and then add 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.
start the rice cooker and let it cook for ~20 minutes.
Step 2: Making Sushi Rice
- 1 table spoon sugar
- 2 table spoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
First take the rice in to a mixing bowl and loosen it with using a spatula;
then, sprinkle in the ingredients and knead lightly, get as much air contact on to the rice as possible.
Step 3: SPAM SPAM SPAM
- Cut a chunk of spam into think slices, and then cut the slices into threads
- season with rosemary, cardamon, thyme and black pepper
Step 4: Onigiri
- Wash hands thoroughly and dab with salt water
- Scoop a generous amount of rice in one hand, hold it in palm, and squeeze with palm and fingers into a C shape. With the other hand, make a similar C shape between fingers and palm, and press down from the space between the palm and fingers of the first hand.
- once the rice is firmly shaped into the triangular shape, press a small dent in the center of the rice with your thumb and place some spam in side.
- Cover the dent with some more rice and another press.
Step 5: Completion
- Cut a piece of nori about 1 inch wide and 3 1/2 inch long
- wrap it around the bottom of the onigiri
- Enjoy the food while being grateful for the hard work done by the planters and harvesters!
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017