Flaky, creamy, filled with spinachy goodness - spanakopita is awesomely delicious for lunch or dinner (or even a snack). In addition to being delicious, it's very easy to make (and you can even make it vegan)!
You'll Need. . .
You'll Need. . .
- Approximately 8 ounces fillo dough (look for it in your grocery store's freezer)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (substitute vegan butter-type spread to make vegan)
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, with excess water squeezed out
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese (substitute silken tofu to make vegan)
- 5 ounces feta cheese (to make vegan substitute with extra firm tofu, cubed or crumbled with excess water squeezed out)
- One clove garlic ground to a paste
- Pepper to taste
- A sheet pan
- Pastry brush
- Preheat oven to 290 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine spinach, feta, and ricotta and mix well
- Mix in garlic and pepper
- Cut sheets of fillo into three long strips
- Lay out one strip and brush with butter
- Apply a second strip, and brush with butter
- Repeat until you have a stack of 4 strips of fillo, and brush the top with butter
- Place approximately two tablespoons of spinach and cheese mixture at one end of the strip
- Fold the strip over on an angle until it meets the long side
- Fold again, and continue folding to create a triangle of fillo with spinach in the center
- Place seam side down on baking sheet
- Repeat with remaining fillo dough and spinach
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the tops are browned and flaky
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Participated in the
Colors of the Rainbow Contest