- To make handmade soap from scratch, you will need a mixture of oils, water & lye.
- To determine the correct quantities, you will need to learn to use a Soap Calculator
- Mix the lye and water and allow to cool
- Heat the oils on the stove top and allow to cool
- Once they both have reached room temperature, pour the lye/water into the oils and blend with a stick blender.
- Now its time to colour your soap.
- As per my video, I have separated 4 different batches and used 4 different colours to colour them.
- Once all colours have been mixed, pour in the fragrance.
- Now its time to design your soap.
- In my video, I have used a tablespoon to create my swirls.
- Pour the soap colours into your log mould.
- I created smiley embeds the day before to add onto my design.
- Once complete, allow 24-48 hours for your soap block to completely harden.
- Remove from the mould and cut into desired size.
- Handmade soap must cure for 4-6 weeks prior to use, this allows the water content to evaporate, which leaves a hard bar of oils.
- Below is a link to the soap calculator that I use.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.