Bitter gourd or bitter melon is one of popular edible pod vegetable in many Asian countries. It is among the most bitter tasting of all culinary vegetables. Bitter melon is very low in calories, rich sources of phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. To know more about its nutrition facts visit - http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/bitter-gourd.htm...
Of course, I never liked bitter gourd in all my life even though it has many health benefits. Except me, all my family members like bitter gourd and enjoy eating it. Cooking is not my area of specialty as well as craft works.After I saw Beyond the comfort zone contest, why not try cooking with my most hated vegetable.
I could not believe, I am cooking and eating bitter gourd. After trying this recipe, its not bitter as i thought.
If you like my post vote for me
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Bitter gourd, 2 nos
- Onion, 2 medium size
- Tomato, 2 big size
- Garlic clove,1
- Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
- Urad dal, 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves, 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
- Chilli powder, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, as needed
Step 2: Preparation
Begin by cutting bitter gourd
Chop the pointy ends off , cut into halves and again halve them vertically.
Scoop out the seeds and dice them into small pieces.
You can also soak them in salted water at least 10 minutes to reduce the bitterness.
Cut onion, tomato and garlic into small pieces.
Step 3: Saute Bitter Gourd
Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped and drained bitter gourd. Saute it for 10 minutes and keep it aside.
Step 4: Saute Onion & Tomato
- In the same pan heat oil, add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Allow them to splutter and add curry leaves, onion and garlic.
- Saute it until onion becomes tender
- Add tomato and saute for 5 minutes
Step 5: Spicy Bitter Gourd
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add some water and saute it.
- Now add the prepared bitter gourd and add required salt.
- Cover and cook in low flame, stirring in regular intervals till it is completely cooked.
Serve it warm along with rice.
Try this recipe. You too will start liking this vegetable.
Next time i am planning to try https://www.instructables.com/id/Deep-Fried-Stuffed...
Participated in the
Beyond the Comfort Zone Contest