This is a Spicy Savory pie made with Spicy Potato Pie Crust and a Mushroom and Broccoli Filling. The crust is made with chilled chopped boiled potato, chilled chopped butter, flour and chili powder. For the filling, the mushroom and broccoli is cooked in a creamy spicy white sauce.
Step 1: Ingredients
Potato Pie Crust
1) Boiled Chopped Potato - 1 small (approximately 1/3 Cup)
2) All purpose Flour - 1 Cup
3) Chilled cubed Butter - 1/3 Cup
4) Salt as per taste
5) Chili Powder - (1-2) Tsp /as per taste (optional)
6) Cold Water - 2 to 3 Tsp
Broccoli Mushroom Filling
1) Chopped Broccoli - 1/3 Cup
2) Chopped Mushroom - 1/3 Cup
3) Sliced Onion - 1 small
4) All purpose Flour - 1 Tbsp
5) Chili Flakes - (1-2) Tsp (as per taste)
6) Chopped Garlic - 2 pods
7) Butter - 1 Tbsp
8) Milk - 1 Cup
9) salt as per taste
Step 2: Making the Spicy Potato Pie Crust
1) In a bowl, add the flour, salt, chili powder, chilled chopped boiled potato, chilled chopped butter and mix everything well using a pastry cutter(chill the pastry cutter too) or all the ingredients can be added to a food processor one by one and incorporated all together.
2) Then add cold water little by little and form it into a dough. Wrap the pie crust with cling/plastic wrap and chill it for an hour (minimum)
Spicy Potato Pie Crust is ready !
Step 3: Creamy Mushroom Broccoli Filling
1) In a Pan, add butter, chili flakes, chopped garlic, sliced onions and saute for few minutes.
2) Then add the mushrooms, broccoli and season it with salt.
3) Cover the pan and cook.Remove the vegetables and keep it aside.
4) In the same pan add some more butter, all purpose flour and saute it for 2 minutes and then add the milk.
5) When the milk boils and thickens add the sauteed vegetables into the sauce. Check for salt, spices (chili flakes) and add if needed.
Creamy Mushroom Broccoli Filling is ready !
Step 4: Assembling the Pie
1) Take a big ball of dough and roll it flat to fit the pie pan.
2) Grease the pie pan with butter and slowly place the rolled pie crust into the pie pan gently pressing it down.
3) With a fork, press the bottom of the pie crust and then fill it with Creamy Mushroom Broccoli Filling.
4) Roll another ball of dough and cover the top of the pie.
5) Trim the edges of the pie and tuck the edges of the top crust under the edges of the bottom crust. Then press all around the edges of the crust with a fork to seal it.
6) Rolled the left out dough and cut out the Pie shape and placed it on the top of the pie using little water.
7) Bake it at 375 F / 190 C for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and firm to the touch.
Spicy Potato Pie Crust with Mushroom Broccoli Filling is ready to be Served. Enjoy !!!
Runner Up in the
Pi Day Challenge 2016