Prep time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Processing Time: 20 minutes (hot boiling water bath)
Spicy Squash Relish
Makes: 6- 16 Oz jars
10 cups of squash, shredded
2 green bell peppers, shredded
2 onions, shredded
2 cups white sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons celery seed
*optional- 5-6 Hot peppers
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Shredding
1. Wash all of the vegetables remove the tops and bottoms of squash.
2. Use a food processor to shred the squash, onions, and green bell peppers.
3. Next, place shredded vegetables into a large bowl.
*optional-add a few hot peppers :)
Step 2: Salt the Squash Mix
1. Sprinkle the salt over the shredded squash.
2. Fill the bowl with enough water to cover the squash and let sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour. (second picture)
3. After an hour, remove from fridge.
4. Drain and rinse squash mixture.(The third picture)
*While the squash is sitting in the fridge....... Get out your canning jars, lids, bands and the pot for your hot boiling water bath.
Step 3: Brine
1. In a large pot add apple cider vinegar, sugar, cayenne pepper and celery seed.
2. Bring brine to a boil, add the squash mixture.
3. Boil for 3-4 minutes, mix well.
4. Ladle the spicy relish in jars, leaving 1/2 headspace at the top.
5. Wipe mouth of jars, place lids and bands on.
6. Place in hot boil water bath and process for 20 minutes.
* If you don't like cayenne pepper you can use dry mustard for just a regular squash relish.
Step 4: Cool & Store
1. Let cool on counter.
2. Once cool, store up to a year.
* I use mine as relish for anything and everything! So good!
Follow us on Instagram and etsy.com @pinehillsfarm to see more!
Participated in the
Canning and Pickling Contest 2016