I love decorating our home with beautiful metallic accents, but I especially love when we can sneak in some of our nerdy interests! This is a tutorial on how to use vinyl to personalize your dinner tray with your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man (complete with glowing eyes!)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
For this project, you will need,
- Bone folder
- Silhouette Cameo
- Computer with Illustrator
Step 2: Design in Adobe Illustrator
- Make your artboards the size of your vinyl.
- Make your design in Illustrator as paths with no fill, no stroke.
- Ungroup everything and release all compound paths.
Step 3: Export DXF to Silhouette Studio
- Select File>Export
- Select Autocad Interchange file (.dxf)
- Open Silhouette Studio
- Open your DXF file and it should appear as gray lines as the right size
Step 4: Adjust Silhouette for Cut Settings
- Adjust cut settings for adhesive-backed vinyl.
- Make sure Cutting Mat checkbox is selected
- Readings will likely be: Speed 8, Thickness 9, Blade 1
- Select the Cut Page button
Step 5: Prepare Vinyl on Cutting Board and Cut
- Line up your vinyl to your cutting mat.
- Load the mat on the machine by aligning the mat with the white rollers, selecting ‘Load Cutting Mat' from the machine, and pressing the ‘ENTER' button.
- This process is slow, especially on such a big design, so be patient. Make sure your machine is on a flat surface without any obstructions nearby as the mat is fed to the front and back of the machine.
Step 6: Weed Design (Remove Excess Vinyl)
- Gently remove the excess vinyl that is not part of your design.
Step 7: Place Design on Transfer Paper and Remove Backing
- Carefully transfer the vinyl design to transfer paper and remove the original backing from the vinyl.
Step 8: Transfer Design and Peel Away Transfer Paper
- Transfer the design to your tray surface and burnish the design with a bone folder.
- Gently peel away the transfer paper, leaving your design on the surface.
Step 9: Final Touches
- Align the extra designs.
- I wanted this minimalist design to have just the spider web, spider emblem, mask, and glowing eyes.
- I found blue glow-in-the-dark vinyl from a car supply store online.
- Place a protective layer of 20 gauge clear vinyl to protect your design from crumbs, spills, etc.
- Bask in the glow of your nerdiness.