Dress up and/or nerd up your next Italian meal with flavored bread sticks that bear a slight resemblance to lightsabers.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
3 medium beets
12 oz spinach
3 cloves garlic
2 packages active dry yeast
2 teaspoon sugar
3 cups flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons fine grain salt
2 Tbs black lava salt
Mixing bowls (2)
Mortar and pestle
Step 2: Juice
- Run spinach and garlic through juicer and set aside
- Juice beets and onion into a separate bowel
Step 3: Make Dough
Follow steps below for both the spinach and the beet dough...
- You'll need 1 cup warm liquid, so pour veggie juice into mixing cup and fill to 1 cup mark with warm water.
- Pour liquid into mixing bowl
- Add 1 packet yeast, 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 cup flour
- Stir a couple times, cover bowl with plastic wrap and set in cool, dark place for 10 minutes (until bubbly)
- Mix in 1 tsp salt (I used mortar and pestle to grind lava salt, but any fine grain salt is fine)
- Mix 1 cup flour into mix
- Move dough to floured surface and knead for 3 - 5 minutes
- Rinse mixing bowl, dry and lightly coat inside with olive oil
- Roll dough into ball and place in a bowl
- Recover and let sit for around an hour (until doubled in size)
Step 4: Roll Out and Bake
- Preheat oven to 400oF
- Punch down dough, knead 2 minutes and divide into balls 1/2" in diameter
- Roll into thin sticks - about 1/4" thick and 8" long
- Brush bottom 1/2" with oil and cover with lava salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes