Kids always like something different. Even those who do not like normally shaped potato chips will go for it if you make them in a most attractive shape. Here I have used a star shaped plunge cutter to make potato chips. it took some time to cut the shapes from potato slices but the outcome looks very pretty.
Please see the steps below on how to make the Star Potato Chips.
Step 1: What You Need
- One large sized potato (Use any number of potatoes but it takes time to make the star shapes)
- A potato slicer, preferably with a large opening
- Star shaped plunge cutters. You can use any shape you like
- Oil for deep-frying
Step 2: Make Potato Slices
- Rinse the potato in water to remove any soil particles from it
- Slice the potato using the slicer with the large opening. Thicker slices are more preferred than thin ones
Step 3: Plunge-cut Star Shapes
- Using the star shaped plunge cutter, cut as many shapes from potato slices. The cut shapes come out with the plunge cutter which can be easily pushed down.
- Do not discard the slices from which the star shapes were cut. You can deep-fry them also.
Step 4: Deep-fry the Larger Pieces
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan over medium flame
- When the oil is heated add the larger potato slices with holes
- Deep-fry to the required crispiness and remove from oil
- Place them in an oil absorbing paper
Step 5: Deep-fry the Star Shapes
- Add the star shaped potato pieces to the oil.
- Keep the flame medium to low to prevent over-burning of the smaller pieces
- Stir the pieces frequently in oil for even frying
- Once the star shaped chips are deep fried as required, remove from oil and strain out extra oil.
- Keep the chips on an oil absorbing paper before serving
Step 6: Sprinkle Salt and Serve
Sprinkle little salt over the chips and serve. If you ask the kids which one will they prefer, they will most probably choose the star shaped potato chips.